What kind of battery do I need for my LED motorcycle lights?

• Thread starter DJpantera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leds Power
In summary, a new member is seeking advice on adding LEDs to their motorcycle. They have bought 20 pre-wired LEDs and are unsure about the power source. The LEDs have an input voltage of 9 to 14 volts and the user wants to use a separate power source. The LEDs have a low power consumption and can tolerate 3.2-3.8V. It is suggested that the motor battery will work for the LEDs.
DJpantera
first of all HELLO evry1,i am new here!
I have a motorcycle and I want to do something special to it so I decided on putting some LEDs on.
I buyed 20 pre-wired LEDs (http://cgi.ebay.com/20x-Blue-LED-Lamp-Light-Set-25cm-Pre-Wired-5mm-12V-DC_W0QQitemZ150140711458QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66948QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
The only problem now is the power,can someone tell me what kind of battery(ies) I need?
THANKS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
According to the specs, the LEDs have an input voltage of 9 to 14 volts.

This leads to many possibilities. Do you want to tap the power from your motor's battery, or provide a separate power source?

I want a separate source because I have enough room

Well, firstly, is there any power/current/voltage rating of the LEDs that you have bought? You need to know that before you can provide a power source.

the consumption of LEDs are generally very low, so battery replacement would not be very often. (If you're wondering about power consumption too)

Thank you very much for the information Tw15t3r !
The 20 LEDs are 12V DC with Forward Voltage (V) 3.2 ~ 3.8 (I don`t really know what that means :redface:)
I think that the motor battery will do the job

Hmm, yes, it should work. Guess ur problem is solved then.

For the record, 3.2-3.8V forward, would mean that, connected the right way (LEDs connected the wrong way won't light, and if too high a voltage the wrong way... boom.) it can tolerate 3.2-3.8V. So I'm probably guessing about 4 LEDs are in series with each other, so since each can take 3.2-3.8V, total, ends up with around 9-14V. Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for all!

What are LEDs?

LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, are a type of semiconductor device that emits light when an electric current passes through it. They are commonly used for lighting and displays, and are more energy-efficient and longer-lasting compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.

How do LEDs work?

LEDs work by using a process called electroluminescence, where an electric current stimulates electrons in the semiconductor material to release energy in the form of light. The color of the light emitted is determined by the materials used in the semiconductor.

What is the difference between wattage and lumens in relation to LED power?

Wattage is a measure of the amount of power consumed by the LED, while lumens measure the amount of light output. With LEDs, a lower wattage can produce the same or more lumens compared to traditional bulbs, making them more energy-efficient.

What factors affect the power and brightness of LEDs?

The power and brightness of LEDs can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the semiconductor material, the design and efficiency of the circuit, and the heat dissipation capabilities of the LED. Higher quality materials and efficient designs can result in brighter and more powerful LEDs.

How can I determine the appropriate power and brightness of LEDs for my project?

The appropriate power and brightness of LEDs for your project will depend on factors such as the desired level of illumination and the size of the space. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or do thorough research to ensure you choose the right LEDs for your specific project needs.