1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LEDs power question(newb)

1. Jul 12, 2007 #1
    first of all HELLO evry1,i am new here!!
    I have a motorcycle and I wanna do something special to it so I decided on putting some LEDs on.
    I buyed 20 pre-wired LEDs (http://cgi.ebay.com/20x-Blue-LED-La...8QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66948QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
    The only problem now is the power,can someone tell me what kind of battery(ies) I need?
    THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2007 #2
    According to the specs, the LEDs have an input voltage of 9 to 14 volts.

This leads to many possibilities. Do you want to tap the power from your motor's battery, or provide a separate power source?

4. Jul 13, 2007 #3
    I want a separate source because I have enough room

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4
    Well, firstly, is there any power/current/voltage rating of the LEDs that you have bought? You need to know that before you can provide a power source.

the consumption of LEDs are generally very low, so battery replacement would not be very often. (If you're wondering about power consumption too)

6. Jul 13, 2007 #5
    Thank you very much for the information Tw15t3r !!
    The 20 LEDs are 12V DC with Forward Voltage (V) 3.2 ~ 3.8 (I don`t really know what that means :redface:)
    I think that the motor battery will do the job

7. Jul 13, 2007 #6
    Hmm, yes, it should work. Guess ur problem is solved then.

For the record, 3.2-3.8V forward, would mean that, connected the right way (LEDs connected the wrong way won't light, and if too high a voltage the wrong way... boom.) it can tolerate 3.2-3.8V. So I'm probably guessing about 4 LEDs are in series with each other, so since each can take 3.2-3.8V, total, ends up with around 9-14V. Hope it helps.

8. Jul 13, 2007 #7
    Thank you very much for all!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?