Why Do GUT Theories Only Use Left Spinors?

In summary, it seems like the left-handed spinors are easier to use because they describe the fields in a more Lorentz-invariant way.
Magister
Why in every single text about GUT theories only the left spinors are used? Why use the conjugate of the spinor instead of the spinor itself? Is it just a another historic definition?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Magister said:
Why in every single text about GUT theories only the left spinors are used? Why use the conjugate of the spinor instead of the spinor itself? Is it just a another historic definition?

I do not know much about GUT theories, but it might be related to the fact we often have majorana particles and it is easier the formulate the them with left spinor, anti-particles and conjugate than with left and right spinors ?

In any case, if you learn about the answer, I am interested about it.

Barmecides has it more or less right. The standard model is a Chiral theory (left and right handed fields are treated separately) so it makes sense to write things down in terms of Weyl spinors (2-component). Whether we write them as (1/2,0) fields ("left-handed") or (0,1/2) fields ("right-handed") is a matter of convention, and the convention is to use left-handed fields. There's nothing really special about this, but if you feel like using right-handed spinors, you'll have to do a whole lot of hermitian-conjugating in order to match results with other papers!

Remember: left-handed spinors describe right-handed fields just fine (you just have to use the antiparticle). There's nothing wrong with this. And when all fields are left-handed (or right handed, but as long as it's just ONE of them) - then it's very easy to keep track of what Lorentz-invariant combinations you can write down. Otherwise, you're likely to make a mistake. TRUST ME: I speak with the voice of experience! :wink:

Ok. That was what I thought. I was just wondering if there was another reason for that.

Thanks a lot for your replies

1. What are left spinors in GUT theories?

Left spinors are a type of spinor field that is used in Grand Unified Theory (GUT) models to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They are fundamental objects in the mathematical framework of GUT theories and are often used to represent left-handed fermions, which are a type of elementary particle that interacts through the weak nuclear force.

2. How are left spinors different from right spinors?

Left spinors and right spinors are different mathematical objects that are used to describe the behavior of particles in GUT theories. Left spinors represent particles that are left-handed, while right spinors represent particles that are right-handed. This distinction is important in GUT theories because left-handed and right-handed particles behave differently under the weak nuclear force.

3. What role do left spinors play in GUT theories?

Left spinors play a crucial role in GUT theories, as they are used to construct the mathematical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They are fundamental objects that are used to represent left-handed particles, which are a key component of GUT models.

4. Can left spinors be observed experimentally?

No, left spinors cannot be directly observed experimentally. They are mathematical constructs that are used to describe the behavior of particles in GUT theories. However, the particles that left spinors represent can be observed and studied through high-energy particle accelerators and other experimental techniques.

5. Are left spinors a proven concept in GUT theories?

Yes, left spinors are a well-established and widely accepted concept in GUT theories. They have been extensively studied and used in various theoretical models, and their predictions have been verified through experiments. However, the exact nature and behavior of left spinors are still being explored and refined in ongoing research in the field of particle physics.