Legendre poly, generating function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}} is a generating function of the polynomials. The suggested approach is to use the binomial series and substitute in the given values. The user is encouraged to continue working on the proof and ask for help if needed.
physicsjock
hey guys,

my lecturer skipped the proof to show that [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}}[/itex] is a generating function of the polynomials,

he told us that we should do it as an exercise by first finding the binomial series of
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-s}}[/itex] then insert s = -u2 + 2xu

he then said to expand out sn and group together all the un terms,

this is what I've been doing for a while and i haven't been able to see the end,

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x}}=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{\frac{\left( -\frac{1}{2} \right)\left( -\frac{3}{2} \right)...\left( \frac{1}{2}-n \right)}{n!}}{{(x)}^{n}}\,\,\,\,\,let\,\,x=2xu-{{u}^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]
{{(u(-u+2x))}^{n}}={{(-1)}^{n}}{{u}^{n}}\left[ {{u}^{n}}-2x\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}{{u}^{n-1}}+4{{x}^{2}}\frac{n!}{(n-2)!}{{u}^{n-2}}+...+\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}{{(-1)}^{-r}}{{u}^{n-r}}{{(2x)}^{n}}+...+{{(-1)}^{-n}}{{(2x)}^{n}} \right]
[/itex]

is my approach incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to work on this proof on your own. It shows that you are dedicated to understanding the material and willing to put in the effort to do so. However, I would like to offer some guidance on your approach to this problem.

The first step in proving that \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}} is a generating function of the polynomials is to understand the concept of a generating function. A generating function is a power series that encodes information about a sequence of numbers. In this case, the polynomials are represented by the coefficients of the power series.

To prove that \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}} is a generating function of the polynomials, we need to show that the coefficients of the power series match the coefficients of the polynomials. This is where your lecturer's suggestion to use the binomial series comes in. The binomial series is a specific type of power series that can help us find the coefficients of the power series we are working with.

Your approach of expanding out sn and grouping together all the un terms is a good start, but it may not lead to the desired result. Instead, try using the binomial series directly to find the coefficients of the power series. Then, substitute in the given values of s = -u2 + 2xu and see if the coefficients match with those of the polynomials.

I hope this helps clarify the steps you need to take in order to complete this proof. Keep working on it and don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck. Good luck!

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a sequence of orthogonal polynomials named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre. They are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in solving differential equations and expressing functions in terms of series expansions.

2. What is the generating function of Legendre polynomials?

The generating function of Legendre polynomials is a mathematical concept that allows us to express a sequence of polynomials as a single function. For Legendre polynomials, the generating function is given by (1-x^2)^(-1/2) = ∑_(n=0)^∞ P_n(x)t^n, where P_n(x) represents the nth Legendre polynomial.

3. How are Legendre polynomials useful in physics?

Legendre polynomials are useful in physics because they can be used to solve problems involving spherical symmetry, such as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. They also have applications in solving boundary value problems and representing physical quantities as series expansions.

4. What are the recurrence relations for Legendre polynomials?

The recurrence relations for Legendre polynomials are given by P_n+1(x) = (2n+1)xP_n(x) - nP_n-1(x) and (n+1)P_n+1(x) = (2n+1)xP_n(x) - nP_n-1(x), where P_n(x) represents the nth Legendre polynomial.

5. Can Legendre polynomials be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Legendre polynomials can be generalized to higher dimensions, known as the multidimensional Legendre polynomials. These polynomials are used in solving problems involving higher dimensional spherical symmetry, such as in solid-state physics and cosmology.