1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leibniz rule for differentiating an integral w.r.t a parameter

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the function[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2c}\int^{x+ct}_{x-ct}g(\xi)d\xi[/tex]where g is continuously differentiable and c is a constant. I need to verify that this is a solution to the wave equation.

2. Relevant equations

My prof gave me the formula[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int^{b(t)}_{a(t)}F(y,t)dy=\int^{b(t)}_{a(t)}F_t(y,t)dy+F(b(t),t)b'(t)-F(a(t),t)a'(t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't see how I can use this rule when trying to take these derivatives. The [itex]\xi[/itex] is really messing me up. Do I need to use this rule right off the bat on my first derivative (I am trying to take the x derivatives first). It seems like this question is just as easy as using a formula, but I cannot seem to get an answer that works out...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That ##xi## is a dummy variable. Would it lessen your confusion if you called it ##y##?$$
    u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2c}\int^{x+ct}_{x-ct}g(y)dy$$Now the integrand looks just like your Leibnitz formula except it's simpler, having no ##t## variable.

4. Mar 25, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but it does have both x and t in the integration limits. Maybe that is causing the OP's headaches.

5. Mar 25, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could be. He may need an Excedrin before he's done.

6. Mar 25, 2014 #5
    so the y still didn't do much for me. If I have g(y only), then how all of a sudden I have g(b(t),t)?

7. Mar 25, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

More useful is the special case
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \int_{a(x,t)}^{b(x,t)} f(y)\,dy = f(b(x,t))\frac{\partial b}{\partial x} - f(a(x,t))\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}[/tex]

8. Mar 25, 2014 #7
    ok, so first of all, how can you say the integral in the general formula is zero? because F is a function of y only?

second, working this all out, I get something that looks like the wave equation kinda, but I don't see how I exactly have[itex]u_{tt}=c^2u_{xx}[/itex]

Is it okay if I just upload an image instead of typing out my work?

9. Mar 25, 2014 #8
    http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/images/17/00/70/22/72/702272.jpeg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Mar 25, 2014 #9
    see on the last two lines, I don't think I have an equality here? also the denominator in the last line is a typo. I know it should be c^2/2c

11. Mar 25, 2014 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's why the integrand with the ##F_t## is zero.

That's why I don't like images. It makes us retype things. In the step where you have$$
    \frac 1 {2c}(g_t(x+ct)c + g_t(x-ct)c$$you should have$$
    \frac 1 {2c}g'(x+ct)c - g'(x-ct)(-c)$$The second g should have a negative sign in all your calculations because it came from the lower limit and the last -c is from the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Mar 25, 2014 #11
    sorry. I can type stuff out from now on. I'm confused by your primed notation now. what does that mean? even accounting for the negative sign I missed, I do not see how these can be equal, because one I am differentiating wrt x and the other one I am differentiating wrt t.

[tex]u_{tt}=\frac{c^2}{2c} \left( g_t(x+ct)-g_t(x-ct) \right)[/tex][tex]c^2u_{xx}=\frac{c^2}{2c}\left( g_x(x+ct)+g_x(x-ct) \right)[/tex]I don't see [itex]c^2u_{xx}=u_{tt}[/itex] here...

13. Mar 25, 2014 #12
    wait. am I messing up the chain rule here?

14. Mar 25, 2014 #13
    ok. I see where I went wrong with the chain rule now, I had to write the chain rule in leibniz notation (with ANOTHER dummy variable) and now I think I have the answer. Thanks a lot for your help.It seems so easy now. Although I guess it's always easy once you have figured it out haha.

15. Mar 25, 2014 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you get the chain rule correct in your ##u_t## and ##u_{tt}## derivatives you will have a + sign where I have the red and your two right sides will be identical.

About the prime, ##g## is a function of one variable. Think of it as ##g(u)## where ##u=x\pm ct## (either way). If you want to differentiate ##g## with respect to ##t## you would use the chain rule$$
    g_t = g'(u)u_t = g'(x\pm ct)(\pm c)$$
    [Edit]:Although your answers will agree once you fix the chain rule thing, both signs between the two g terms should be negative once you take into account my comment about lower limits (the last sentence in post #10).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. Mar 25, 2014 #15

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please note the editing in post #14. Your final result should have$$
    \frac{c^2}{2c} \left( g_t(x+ct)-g_t(x-ct) \right)$$on the right side of both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted