What is the solution to finding d(x) without using trigonometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that requires finding d(x) without using trigonometry or calculus. One person has already provided a solution involving trigonometry, but the other person suggests using similar triangle arguments and the Pythagorean theorem to solve it without trigonometry. The solution is then successfully found.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am to provide a solution without using any trigonometry or calculus, but I can't find a way. To clarify, I must find d(x).

Involving trig, the problem is trivial, as the angle "A" is equal to arctan(5/4), and then the law of cosines is applied, this is my result on the attachment.

How could you solve this without involving trigonometry?

Attachments

• geometry1.jpg
    geometry1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am to provide a solution without using any trigonometry or calculus, but I can't find a way. To clarify, I must find d(x).

Involving trig, the problem is trivial, as the angle "A" is equal to arctan(5/4), and then the law of cosines is applied, this is my result on the attachment.

How could you solve this without involving trigonometry?

Drop a perpendicular from C to AB. I think you can use similar triangle arguments and the Pythagorean theorem to get a relationship between x and d without using the law of cosines.

Likes 1 person
Cheers, solution followed readily.

1. What is the definition of length as a function of x?

Length as a function of x refers to the measurement of distance or extent along the x-axis of a graph or coordinate system. It represents the relationship between the independent variable x and the dependent variable, which is the length in this case.

2. How is length as a function of x represented on a graph?

Length as a function of x is typically represented by a line or curve on a graph. The x-axis represents the input values or independent variable, while the y-axis represents the output values or dependent variable. The line or curve on the graph shows the relationship between the two variables.

3. What is the importance of understanding length as a function of x?

Understanding length as a function of x is essential in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to analyze and predict how the length of a system or object changes with respect to the input variable x. This knowledge is crucial in problem-solving and making accurate measurements and calculations.

4. How is the length as a function of x calculated?

The calculation of length as a function of x depends on the specific function or equation that represents the relationship between the two variables. For linear functions, the length can be calculated using the slope-intercept form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. For more complex functions, it may require using calculus or other mathematical techniques to find the length.

5. Can length as a function of x change over time?

Yes, length as a function of x can change over time, depending on the system or object being measured. For example, the length of a spring may change as it is stretched or compressed, which can be represented by a function of x. In real-life scenarios, the length of a system or object may also change due to external factors, such as temperature, pressure, or applied forces.