Length contraction and time dilation equivelant?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the relationship between time dilation and length contraction, and whether one is a result of the other. It is concluded that both are consequences of the Poincare symmetry and are used to preserve the speed of light for any observer. The principle of relativity is also discussed, and it is mentioned that the relativistic equations governing the operation of any clock will result in time dilation. The example of an atomic clock based on the hyperfine transition of Cesium is given to support this. It is also noted that there are no differences in the laws of physics for different reference frames, and the constantness of light plays a crucial role in understanding time dilation.
teodorakis
Hi, i asked this before but i think i found a clearer way to define my quesiton. As i asked in the title, does length contradicts as a result of time dilation? Or time dilation and length contraction are equal?
When we deal with formulas generally we use the vertical clock and derive time dilation formula than we use this time dilaiton formula in horizontal clock and derive the length contraction formula. So can we say length contraction is the result of time dilation, length in the direction of motion must contradict for consistency of the time dilaiton formulas, or can we equally say as a result of length contraction, time must be dilated?
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that both length contraction and time dilation are consequences of the Poincare symmetry.

DaleSpam said:
I would say that both length contraction and time dilation are consequences of the Poincare symmetry.

could you explain more?

You are asking if one is the result of the other, I don't think so. I think both are a result of the same thing, an underlying symmetry to the laws of nature called Poincare symmetry. Symmetries seem to be some of the most fundamental things in physics.

DaleSpam said:

We know for a fact that Poincare did not design the universe, so how do we know his symmetry was used?

There is a sticky at the top of the forum that lists the experimental evidence.

both length contraction and time dilation are the manipulations made to preserve the speed of light for any observer. whichever is needed to do the job is employed. [ i talk so because I am not such a big fan of this theory :) ]
well, if we look at the lorentz transformation matrix, we can see how time and space of one observer gets reinterpreted, to another observer, in terms of one another. that mixing happens, that is why time fit to be addressed as another dimension. well, in a particular case of relative motion. the speed of light can be conserved using both time and space. i mean a combination o them. they need not always be the same.

correct me if I am wrong.

abluphoton said:
both length contraction and time dilation are the manipulations made to preserve the speed of light for any observer. whichever is needed to do the job is employed. [ i talk so because I am not such a big fan of this theory :).

We don't have a choice as to which one is "used". While not exactly equivalent they are in a sense complementary and both occur together as a logical consequence oif the theory.

Matheinste.

when deriving mathematically we use x=ct and x=c't' equate them and do some math and the lorentz eq pop up. So we say that according to another observer that is in motion realtive to some other observer, both time and distance change, without a priority to each other. What do say about this?

well, yea we don't have a choice with that.

also it is x=ct and x'=ct' which is used to relate readings o relative observers.

According to AP French in "Special Relativity" the mesons that reach Earth without much decay are a consequence of either time dilation (the moving frame of the meson) or the length contraction of the Earth frame. Either one applies and will calculate to the same result. Sounds like each principle is a corollary of the other.

Oh god i just finish my thesis without sleeping till morning(do nothing till deadline and write the whole thesis in one week, that's how i roll:)), i am exhausted anyway, when i checkout my e-mail i saw a reply and couldn't help myself but to check out pf. So if i bored you enough with my delicant special life and academic career, i want to say that when we derive time dilation in some kind of light clock we use the principle of relativity and say that it must be delayed in any other type of clock according to the principle of relativity, or we wold have a detector of understanding that we are in motion(by comparing the clocks in our reference frame and using the mismathc between clocks) anyway i want to ask we know the time dilation in any other clock by our derivaiton in another one, but can we derive the time dilation alone in any clock?

teodorakis said:
can we derive the time dilation alone in any clock?
Yes, provided that you use the relativistic equations that describe the functioning of the clock. The light clock is used because the relativistic equations are easy to explain and use.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, provided that you use the relativistic equations that describe the functioning of the clock. The light clock is used because the relativistic equations are easy to explain and use.
so you say that we can derive the time dilation in any oter clock by just only applying the constantness of light and the other relativity principles?

so can you prove me the time dilation with just these assumptions ,in horizontal light clock ?

teodorakis said:
so you say that we can derive the time dilation in any oter clock by just only applying the constantness of light and the other relativity principles?
No, that's not what I said at all. I said that if you use the relativistic law governing the operation of any clock then you will find that it dilates.

For example, an atomic clock is based on the hyperfine transition of Cesium. The relativistic law governing the hyperfine transition is QED. If you apply QED to a moving Cesium atom you will find that the it dilates as expected.

DaleSpam said:
For example, an atomic clock is based on the hyperfine transition of Cesium. The relativistic law governing the hyperfine transition is QED. If you apply QED to a moving Cesium atom you will find that the it dilates as expected.
Your answer is incomplete.

In fact there are no differences in any of the laws of physics for a "steady" or "moving" object. I write those between quotes because something is always moving in relation to something else.

So what you really are trying to say is that when an observer is comparing his own clock with a moving clock he will observe that his own clock runs faster than the moving clock and vice versa. And this is only correct under special relativity conditions (spacetime is assumed flat).

Length contraction and time dilation are 2 things that happen, but one does not cause the other. You need both formulas together to get special relativity (and with just those 2 formulas, you can derive everything)

You cannot observe one without the other because they both happen whenever something is moving. There is no way to say, hold the time dilation constant and increase the length contraction.

Passionflower said:
Your answer is incomplete.

In fact there are no differences in any of the laws of physics for a "steady" or "moving" object.
You misunderstood my point. You are correct that there are no differences between the laws of physics for a steady or moving object, but there are differences between the relativistic laws and their low-speed approximations. That is why I specifically mentioned QED, which is a relativistic formulation of quantum mechanics, rather than earlier versions which were only low-speed approximations.

i want to ask this in some new perception, i want to say that we find time dilation formula by vertical clocks and use this time formula for any other type of clock because if the other type of clocks(any type including vertical) should dilate the same rate as we found, because if any difference occurs one can understand that he/she is moving and that's inconsistent with the principle of relativity. And to complete the big picture we need one more formula about length contraction which we get by using the time formula in horizontal clocks.
Finally every condition about relativity is provided by these two transformations.
Do i get it right?

Essentially, yes, but I would call them two features of one transformation, the Lorentz transform. There is one remaining important feature: the relativity of simultaneity. You can easily derive that from the time dilation and length contraction and the postulates.

1. What is length contraction and time dilation equivalent?

Length contraction and time dilation equivalent is a concept in physics that explains how the length of an object and the passage of time can appear differently to different observers, depending on their relative velocity. It is based on Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs when an object moves at a high velocity relative to an observer. As the object's speed increases, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease to the observer. This is due to the time it takes for light to travel from the object to the observer, which is affected by the object's speed.

3. What is the equation for length contraction and time dilation equivalent?

The equation for length contraction and time dilation equivalent is L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the contracted length, L0 is the rest length of the object, v is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. How is time dilation related to length contraction?

Time dilation and length contraction are two sides of the same coin. As an object's length appears to decrease to an observer, the passage of time for that object also appears to slow down. This means that an object moving at a high velocity experiences both length contraction and time dilation at the same time.

5. Can length contraction and time dilation equivalent be observed in everyday life?

Yes, length contraction and time dilation equivalent can be observed in everyday life, but only at extremely high speeds. For example, particles in particle accelerators experience both phenomena, and their effects must be taken into account in experiments and calculations. However, at everyday speeds, the effects are negligible and cannot be observed by humans.