Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a month

1. Oct 26, 2010 #1
    Probably a very simple question, but my lecturer has asked me to estimate the length of a month.

Any tips on how to do this, because I'm kinda flummoxed :)

Thanks in advance,
    Owen.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2010 #2
    Length as in measure the distance travelled by Earth during a particular month?

4. Oct 26, 2010 #3
    There are different kinds of months. Most likely you're talking about the synodic month which is about 29.530588853 days or 29 & 928 / 1749 days.

5. Oct 26, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Either the question is too simple to bother with or too vague to have a definite direction.

6. Oct 26, 2010 #5
    Ok, I probably should have gone into more depth, even though I was asked simply: "Estimate the length of the month"

I was first asked to prove the equation of the gravitational field of the earth = to the moons orbit (g[m).

Then I was asked to estimate the value of g[m

final question was to estimate the length of the month, its 4 marks, yet all i can think on is that its approx. 30 days, multiply by 86400 for the amount of seconds in a day...

It must have something to do with the moon, but I'm unsure how

Thanks again,
    Owen.

7. Oct 26, 2010 #6
    Yeah I think you need to calculate the Synodic period.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook