Length of Pulley Belt System: 42.12 cm

The circumference of the circle is 2pi * the radius. Since the belt is 3/4 of the circle, the length of the belt is 3pi * the radius of the circle. Since there are two circles, the total length of the belt is 6pi * the radius of the circle.
xortan

Homework Statement

Find the length of the pulley belt system shown if the belts cross at right angles. The radii of the pulleys are 10.5 cm

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/94324138.png/"

Homework Equations

C=2 pi r

The Attempt at a Solution

(2pi * 10.5) * 2

cant think of any other way to do this and my answer is pretty close to the right one but no cigar..any help would be appreicated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I started to say "there is not enough information" because the distance between the pulleys is not given but then realized that "the belts cross are right angles" is enough.

Draw radii from the point of tangency on one of the circles to the center of the circle. Since radii are perpendicular to tangents, that gives a four sided figure with three right angles. So the fourth angle, at the center of the circle is also a right angle. Now you know that the belt is on the circle for 3 right angles or 3/4 of the circles circumference. Also, the four sided figure, having right angles and 2 adjacent sides of length the radius of the circle, is a square and the other two sides, from the point of tangency to the point of intersection, also have length equal to the radius of the circle.

That is the information you need.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of pulley systems and how they work. I would then use the given information, such as the radii of the pulleys and the fact that the belts cross at right angles, to visualize and draw a diagram of the system. This will help me to understand the geometry and relationships involved in the system.

Next, I would use the formula for the circumference of a circle (C = 2πr) to calculate the length of each belt. Since there are two pulleys, I would calculate the length of both belts and then add them together to get the total length of the pulley belt system.

In this case, the radius (r) is given to be 10.5 cm. So the length of one belt would be:

C = 2π(10.5) = 66.3 cm

Since there are two belts, the total length of the pulley belt system would be:

66.3 cm + 66.3 cm = 132.6 cm

Therefore, the length of the pulley belt system is 132.6 cm. It is important to note that this solution assumes that the pulleys are perfectly circular and that the belts do not stretch or slip. In real-life situations, there may be some variation in the length due to these factors.

FAQ: Length of Pulley Belt System: 42.12 cm

1. What is the purpose of a pulley belt system?

A pulley belt system is used to transfer rotational motion from one shaft to another, typically to transmit power or change the direction of motion.

2. How is the length of a pulley belt system determined?

The length of a pulley belt system is determined by measuring the distance between the centers of the two pulleys and adding twice the diameter of each pulley.

3. Why is the length of a pulley belt system important?

The length of a pulley belt system is important because it affects the speed and torque of the system. A longer belt will result in slower speed but higher torque, while a shorter belt will result in faster speed but lower torque.

4. Can the length of a pulley belt system be adjusted?

Yes, the length of a pulley belt system can be adjusted by changing the position of the pulleys or by using a different sized belt. It is important to ensure that the belt is properly tensioned to prevent slipping.

5. What factors can affect the length of a pulley belt system?

The length of a pulley belt system can be affected by the diameter and position of the pulleys, the thickness and flexibility of the belt, and any external forces or loads acting on the system.