Length of Skid Marks: How Can I Solve This Problem?

In summary, the problem involves a 1000 kg car traveling at 40 m/s skidding to a halt on wet concrete with a coefficient of friction of 0.60. Using the equations Vf = Vi + 2ad and fk = μkN = ma, the skid marks can be calculated to be approximately 136 meters. The mistake in the attempt at a solution was the missing squared term.
wcbryant87

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s skids to a halt on wet concrete where [tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.60. How long are the skid marks?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + 2ad
fk = [tex]\mu[/tex]kN = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is driving me crazy. Nowhere in the book does it tell you how to do this or even a similar problem. Plus, online, all I can find is how to find the speed once you've found the length of the skid marks! And yes, I tried doing the problem in reverse but the answer never comes out right.

Here is what I've done.

1000 * 9.8 = 9800
9800 *.6 = 5880
acceleration = 5880/1000 = 5.88

0 = 40 + 2 * 5.88 * d
d = 3.4

I know I've done something incredibly wrong here because the answer in the back of the book is 136!

I appreciate the help

a(1000) = 5800

Physics news on Phys.org
0 = 40 + 2 * 5.88 * d

That 40 should be squared!

oh wow. thank you so much!

1. What is the significance of measuring the length of skid marks?

The length of skid marks can provide valuable information about the speed and force of a vehicle at the time of braking. This information can be used in accident reconstruction and determining fault in a collision.

2. How is the length of skid marks measured?

The length of skid marks is typically measured using a specialized measuring device called a skid mark gauge. This tool is used to accurately measure the length and width of the skid marks left by a vehicle.

3. What factors can affect the length of skid marks?

The length of skid marks can be affected by factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, the type and condition of the tires, the road surface, and the weather conditions. In general, a heavier vehicle or a higher speed will result in longer skid marks.

4. Can the length of skid marks be used to determine the exact speed of a vehicle?

No, the length of skid marks alone cannot be used to determine the exact speed of a vehicle. It can only provide an estimate of the vehicle's speed at the time of braking. Other factors such as the type of vehicle, road conditions, and braking techniques also play a role in determining the vehicle's speed.

5. Are there any limitations to using the length of skid marks in accident reconstruction?

Yes, there are limitations to using the length of skid marks in accident reconstruction. Factors such as the slope of the road, the presence of other vehicles or obstacles, and the driver's braking technique can all affect the length of skid marks. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other evidence and analysis to accurately reconstruct an accident.