Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lawyer
In summary: Nestler's application for a restraining order was accompanied by a six-page typed letter in which she said Letterman used code words, gestures and "eye expressions" to convey his desires for her.She wrote that she began sending Letterman "thoughts of love" after his show began in 1993, and that he responded in code words and gestures, asking her to come East.She said he asked her to be his wife during a televised "teaser" for his show by saying, "Marry me, Oprah." Her letter said Oprah was the first of many code names for her, and that the coded vocabulary increased and changed with time."In summary, the talk show host is being accused
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The nuts just keep getting nuttier.

"Attorneys for television talk show host David Letterman want a judge to quash a restraining order granted to a Santa Fe woman who contends the celebrity used code words to show that he wanted to marry her and train her as his co-host."

"Nestler's application for a restraining order was accompanied by a six-page typed letter in which she said Letterman used code words, gestures and "eye expressions" to convey his desires for her.

She wrote that she began sending Letterman "thoughts of love" after his show began in 1993, and that he responded in code words and gestures, asking her to come East.

She said he asked her to be his wife during a televised "teaser" for his show by saying, "Marry me, Oprah." Her letter said Oprah was the first of many code names for her, and that the coded vocabulary increased and changed with time."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/21/ap/entertainment/mainD8EKP1JG3.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man. I'm so glad to hear that. All this time I thought he was coming on to me!

I saw this on another site and had to wonder if the judge is nuttier than she is to have granted the restraining order. It sounds more like Letterman should have the restraining order against her rather than the other way around. She's obviously delusional.

She wants:

Nestler requested that Letterman, who tapes his show in New York, stay at least three yards away and not "think of me, and release me from his mental harassment and hammering."

She lives in New Mexico, which is quite a long way from New York, and wants to make sure he stays at least three yards away?

zoobyshoe said:
She wants:
She lives in New Mexico, which is quite a long way from New York, and wants to make sure he stays at least three yards away?
I wonder if that includes the TV? What if she's only sitting a yard from the TV and the Late Night show comes on? :smile: What judge allows a restraining order that requires someone not think about someone else? How exactly were they planning on enforcing that one?

Who cares...

I think evo is starving for attention.

Bloody hell! This is very close to being the stupidest thing that I've ever heard of in my life. :bugeye:

I care.....if dave goes down what will happen to team Rahal-Letterman!? Think of Danika! Uh oh, just as I am posting this I hear fire trucks going down my street. I think santa is back just on time! AWE man that's awesome! His firetruck was retro, circa 60's. It had trim of red x-mas lights along the bottom of the truck, and said "merry Christmas" with lights on the grille. Santa was sitting in the middle of the truck waiving. Awesome...HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA yes, he's the MAN

Last edited:
She said he asked her to be his wife during a televised "teaser" for his show by saying, "Marry me, Oprah." Her letter said Oprah was the first of many code names for her, and that the coded vocabulary increased and changed with time."
They did a good job of depicting this dynamic of delusion in A Beautiful Mind in the scenes where John Nash is "figuring out" the changes and permutations of the "code" he imagined he saw in random newspaper clippings.

Once you are convinced someone is talking in code, or things are written in code, then to maintain that belief you have to account for the places you can plainly see that idea just doesn't hold water, by asserting that the code is constantly changing.

I once met a guy who was recovering pretty well from a psychotic episode during which he believed that the writing on the sides of trucks carried a deeper level of symbolism that was apparent at first. The higher up on a truck a company put it's name, the more clout that company had, the more powerful it was. The style of lettering had some signifigance, too, as well as the size of the lettering. He had it all worked out. None of this was merely stylistic, in his mind.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I care.....if dave goes down what will happen to team Rahal-Letterman!? Think of Danika!
What's "team Rahal-Letterman?" Whose "Danika"?

"Train her as his cohost..."? How arrogant! This is nuttier than a brazil nut in carnival time.

Its Dave's race car team he owns. Danika is the woman driver he "owns" if you get my hint... http://www.rahal.com/drivers/patrick/index.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Who cares...
I think evo is starving for attention.
Evo<-----takes out restraining order against Pengwuino for thinking and making unseen eye movements.

I hope everyone realizes who the real crazy person is here:

"A state judge granted a temporary restraining order to Colleen Nestler, who alleged in a request filed last Thursday that Letterman has forced her to go bankrupt and caused her "mental cruelty" and "sleep deprivation" since May 1994."

zoobyshoe said:
I hope everyone realizes who the real crazy person is here:
"A state judge granted a temporary restraining order to Colleen Nestler, who alleged in a request filed last Thursday that Letterman has forced her to go bankrupt and caused her "mental cruelty" and "sleep deprivation" since May 1994."
See my post #3. :biggrin:

That did not escape my attention. I just didn't bother mentioning it because it seems as if any judge who makes it onto the news is insane.

Moonbear said:
See my post #3. :biggrin:
I can't read any post # 3 in any thread because I have not yet been able to crack the #3 code.

zoobyshoe said:
I can't read any post # 3 in any thread because I have not yet been able to crack the #3 code.
:smile: Oh, #3 just means I'm secretly flirting with you. That's an easy one. :biggrin:

It doesn't look any different to me, though it looks different in the screenshots you posted.

Related to Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order

1. What is the "Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order" about?

The "Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order" is a legal battle between David Letterman and his former lawyers, who are trying to enforce a restraining order against him.

2. Why are David Letterman's former lawyers trying to get a restraining order against him?

The lawyers claim that Letterman has been harassing and threatening them since they represented him in a previous legal case. They believe that a restraining order is necessary to protect themselves from his alleged behavior.

3. Has David Letterman responded to the restraining order?

Yes, Letterman has denied the allegations made by his former lawyers and has filed a countersuit against them for defamation and malicious prosecution.

4. What is the current status of the legal battle?

The case is ongoing, with both parties still presenting their arguments and evidence in court. A decision has not yet been made by the judge.

5. What could be the potential outcome of the "Letterman Lawyers Fight Restraining Order"?

The outcome of the case could result in the restraining order being enforced or dismissed. It could also lead to further legal action, such as a settlement or a trial, depending on the judge's decision and the actions of both parties.