Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jul 11, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know what the LHC will be capable of when it's running at high speed? I haven't really been able to find what kind of experiments the physicists will be able to perform with the collider. Just wandering what the plan was for this baby, what we can expect to learn, etc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2006 #2

Gold Member

ZapperZ and Arildno can tune you in properly on that. I'm looking forward to seeing that myself.
  4. Jul 11, 2006 #3
    Cern Website
    The LHC will collide proton beams at 14 TeV and Lead nuclei beams at 1150 TeV.

Here is a pdf of a talk by Wang given at Fermilab this year:
    Wang fnal talk

And a talk by Reuter of DESY:
    Reuter Talk

They hope to look at supersymmetry, search for the higgs boson, possible see tiny black holes created and watch them evaporate away very quickly and search for possible (large?) extra dimensions that the stringy theories predict. Lots of stuff to be learned there. It will be very exciting! :biggrin:
  5. Jul 11, 2006 #4
    seems like superstring theory (supersymmetry and extra dimentions) is up to bat. I can't wait to see what is discovered. I'd like to find out the technical detail of what their experiments will be. I'll check out those links tomorrow. thanks.
  6. Jul 12, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Let's hold our horses! First up at bat is the search for the Higgs! Considering that it is part of the Standard Model, and that almost all flavors of String theory requires the existence of at least several generation of the Higgs boson, I'd say finding one first would be of utmost importance. At the very least, not finding one within a certain energy range (the way the Tevatron has falsified at least the existence of the lighter Higgs) would have killed a few variations of the theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?