What Experiments Can We Expect with the LHC?

In summary, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN will be capable of colliding proton beams at 14 TeV and lead nuclei beams at 1150 TeV. Physicists hope to use the LHC to study supersymmetry, search for the Higgs boson, and potentially observe tiny black holes and extra dimensions. The first priority will be to search for the Higgs boson, which is part of the Standard Model and is required by most flavors of string theory. Not finding the Higgs within a certain energy range would have important implications for the theory.
denni89627
Does anyone know what the LHC will be capable of when it's running at high speed? I haven't really been able to find what kind of experiments the physicists will be able to perform with the collider. Just wandering what the plan was for this baby, what we can expect to learn, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ and Arildno can tune you in properly on that. I'm looking forward to seeing that myself.

http://press.web.cern.ch/public/Content/Chapters/AboutCERN/CERNFuture/WhatLHC/WhatLHC-en.html"
The LHC will collide proton beams at 14 TeV and Lead nuclei beams at 1150 TeV.

Here is a pdf of a talk by Wang given at Fermilab this year:
http://theory.fnal.gov/seminars/slides/2006/LWang.pdf"

And a talk by Reuter of DESY:
http://www-ttp.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de/~reuter/pparc.pdf"

They hope to look at supersymmetry, search for the higgs boson, possible see tiny black holes created and watch them evaporate away very quickly and search for possible (large?) extra dimensions that the stringy theories predict. Lots of stuff to be learned there. It will be very exciting! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
seems like superstring theory (supersymmetry and extra dimentions) is up to bat. I can't wait to see what is discovered. I'd like to find out the technical detail of what their experiments will be. I'll check out those links tomorrow. thanks.

denni89627 said:
seems like superstring theory (supersymmetry and extra dimentions) is up to bat. I can't wait to see what is discovered. I'd like to find out the technical detail of what their experiments will be. I'll check out those links tomorrow. thanks.

Let's hold our horses! First up at bat is the search for the Higgs! Considering that it is part of the Standard Model, and that almost all flavors of String theory requires the existence of at least several generation of the Higgs boson, I'd say finding one first would be of utmost importance. At the very least, not finding one within a certain energy range (the way the Tevatron has falsified at least the existence of the lighter Higgs) would have killed a few variations of the theory.

Zz.

FAQ: What Experiments Can We Expect with the LHC?

What experiments will be conducted with the LHC?

The LHC will primarily be used to conduct experiments related to particle physics, such as studying the properties of the Higgs boson, searching for new particles, and investigating the nature of dark matter.

How does the LHC work?

The LHC works by accelerating beams of protons or heavy ions to nearly the speed of light using a series of superconducting magnets. These beams are then collided at four different points along the 27-kilometer-long tunnel, where detectors record the resulting particles and their interactions.

What are the potential benefits of experiments conducted with the LHC?

The experiments conducted with the LHC have the potential to advance our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe. This knowledge could also lead to technological advancements in areas such as medical imaging and energy production.

What are the potential risks of experiments conducted with the LHC?

Some concerns have been raised about the safety of the LHC, particularly regarding the creation of microscopic black holes. However, extensive research and safety assessments have concluded that the LHC experiments pose no significant risk to the environment or human health.

What are the current and future plans for the LHC experiments?

The LHC experiments are ongoing and have produced groundbreaking results, including the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012. In the future, the LHC will continue to operate at increasingly higher energies, allowing scientists to explore new frontiers in particle physics and potentially make new discoveries.

Back