L'hopitals Rule for Solving Limits with Complex Functions

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of l'hopitals rule to find the limit of a function and confirms the answer of -1/2. The conversation also mentions the use of the infinite series of e^x and confirms the derivative of -e^{-x^2} as 2xe^{-x^2}.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] L'hopitals Derivative

Homework Statement

lim x->0 [tex] \frac{1-x^2-e^{-x^2}}{x^4}[/tex]I ended up using l'hopitals rule 4 times before I got the answer. And I got an answer of -1/2. I was wondering if someone could check that to see if its right. I would post all my work but that would take a while, however, if you want to see more of my steps ill be glad to do so. I tried graphing it on my calculator, but depending where I put the parenthesis it was right or wrong. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My final equation looked like so...

[tex] \frac{16x^4e^{-x^2} - 24x^2e^{-x^2} + 16x^2e^{-x^2} - 8e^{-x^2} + 8x^2e^{-x^2} - 4e^{-x^2}}{24}[/tex]

You can start by replacing x^2 with y in the beginning for nicer equations. I have not been doing anything with l'hopital yet, but I used the infinite series of e^x and got the same answer as you.

Ok, I have another question. The derivative of [tex]-e^{-x^2}[/tex] would be [tex]2xe^{-x^2}[/tex] is that correct?

i just replaced it with y and that was much easier thanks

yes the derivative is correct as is your solution.

What is L'Hopital's Derivative?

L'Hopital's Derivative is a mathematical rule for finding the limit of a fraction with indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the fraction of two functions f(x)/g(x) is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives f'(x)/g'(x) will be the same as the original limit.

When is L'Hopital's Derivative used?

L'Hopital's Derivative is used when evaluating limits of fractions with indeterminate forms. It is a useful tool in the study of calculus, specifically in finding the behavior of functions at certain points.

Are there any restrictions on using L'Hopital's Derivative?

Yes, there are some restrictions on using L'Hopital's Derivative. The functions f(x) and g(x) must be differentiable in the given interval and the limit must be in an indeterminate form. Also, the limit of the quotient of their derivatives must exist.

Is L'Hopital's Derivative applicable to all functions?

No, L'Hopital's Derivative is not applicable to all functions. It can only be used for finding the limit of a fraction with indeterminate form, and there are some restrictions on the functions that can be used (see above question).

What is the intuition behind L'Hopital's Derivative?

The intuition behind L'Hopital's Derivative is that the behavior of a function at a certain point can be better understood by looking at the rate of change of the function (i.e. its derivative). By taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the original fraction, we can simplify the expression and better understand its behavior at the given point.