What license should be used for Latex documents containing specialized packages?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter wvuphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of Latex in creating a midterm exam for a physics laboratory class. The person wanted to know what license they should use when posting the exam document on their Github page for others to view and use. The use of certain Latex packages was also mentioned as a potential concern. The suggestion was made to use a Creative Commons license to allow others to use and share the document.
wvuphys
Greetings all,

I recently wrote a midterm exam for my physics laboratory class using Latex. In preparing the document, I used some latex packages (specifically
circuitikz). I want to post my .tex file and a pdf on my github page for students in future classes to view as a sample exam or anyone else that may be interested (educators etc.).

I was wondering what license I should post this document under? Or should it even have a license? For the record, I don't care who or how someone uses it. Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a reason that it's relevant that you did it using latex, or that you used certain packages?

If you just want other people to be able to use it, you could pick a CC license that sounds like what you want. If you don't license it, then it's illegal for other people to make copies or create derived works from it.

To answer your question, yes, the packages were the concern. Thanks for the response.

1. What is a license for LaTeX documents?

A license for LaTeX documents is a legal agreement that specifies the terms and conditions under which a LaTeX document can be used, modified, and distributed by others. It is important for protecting the author's intellectual property rights and ensuring proper attribution.

2. Do I need a license for my LaTeX document?

Yes, you should always include a license for your LaTeX document to clearly state how others can use and share your work. Without a license, others may not know how they are allowed to use your document and could potentially infringe on your rights.

3. What are the different types of licenses for LaTeX documents?

There are various types of licenses for LaTeX documents, including open source licenses, creative commons licenses, and proprietary licenses. Each type has its own specific terms and restrictions, so it's important to choose the one that best fits your needs.

4. Can I modify a LaTeX document with a license?

It depends on the specific license attached to the document. Open source licenses typically allow for modifications, as long as the original author is credited and the modifications are also shared under the same license. Proprietary licenses may have stricter restrictions on modifications.

5. How do I choose the right license for my LaTeX document?

The right license for your LaTeX document will depend on your goals and preferences. If you want others to be able to freely modify and share your work, an open source license may be a good choice. If you want to retain more control over your work, a proprietary license may be more suitable. Consider consulting a legal professional for guidance in choosing the right license for your specific needs.