How Do Commutation Relations Fit into the Concept of a Lie Algebra?

• Thread starter Physiana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the comutation relations show if two entities can be measured together with any accuracy.
Physiana
After reading some threads I decided to post my question, since I couldn't find an sufficient answer.
In general the generators of a lie group combined with the compostion [A,B]=ifB build a Lie-Algebra. Where the Generators build the base of the vectorspace.
In a common vectorspace you can find a orthonormalbase, and the scalarproduct defines the metrik. How does the comutation relations fit in this concept? I know that the comutation relations show if two entities can be measured together with any accuracy, but what is their meaning referring to the understanding of a algebra?
I have the feeling I disorganised the whole concept...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you transform your state vectors you use unitary operators, which are expressed as exponentials of Hermitian generators. All these operators represent together a set of space-time symmetries (rotation, displacement in time and space, velocity along an axis), which form a group. Now you can multiply these group elements, and to check if the commute you expand to small order and look how the generators behave to each other, if they commute. These form Lie Algebras.

Physiana said:
After reading some threads I decided to post my question, since I couldn't find an sufficient answer.
In general the generators of a lie group combined with the compostion [A,B]=ifB build a Lie-Algebra. Where the Generators build the base of the vectorspace.
In a common vectorspace you can find a orthonormalbase, and the scalarproduct defines the metrik. How does the comutation relations fit in this concept? I know that the comutation relations show if two entities can be measured together with any accuracy, but what is their meaning referring to the understanding of a algebra?
I have the feeling I disorganised the whole concept...

A Lie algebra' s Killing form is used to define a metric on the algebra. If the algebra is semi-simple, the metric is non-degenerate. If the algeba generates a compact Lie group, the metric is definite.

What is a Lie Algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that studies the properties of vector spaces and the operations of addition and multiplication. It is also used to study the properties of continuous transformations and their symmetries.

What are generators in Lie Algebra?

Generators in Lie Algebra are elements that generate the entire algebraic structure. They are used to describe the symmetries of a mathematical object by representing them as a linear combination of the generators.

How are Lie Algebra and Lie groups related?

Lie Algebra and Lie groups are closely related as they both study continuous symmetries. Lie groups are a type of mathematical group that can be described using Lie Algebra. Lie Algebra provides a more efficient way to study the properties of symmetries in Lie groups.

What is the importance of the Lie Algebra in physics?

Lie Algebra is important in physics as it provides a framework for studying the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. It is used in various fields of physics such as quantum mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics.

What are some examples of Lie Algebras?

Some examples of Lie Algebras include the special linear algebra, orthogonal algebra, and symplectic algebra. These are used to study different types of transformations and symmetries in mathematics and physics.