Lifetime and Linewidth: Solving the 2π Factor

• I
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifetime
In summary: They claim to use laser-induced fluorescence detection in the first paragraph and then state that they can do so at near the natural linewidth limit of 30 MHz. This is the resolution of the laser-induced fluorescence detection and should therefore be the linewidth of the laser. It is not related to the linewidth of the transitions at all (except that it is an upper limit for the actual linewidth of the transitions), but it is the resolution limit they can achieve using this method.
Malamala
I know this is a simple formula, but I got confused online about the ##2\pi## factor. If I have, say ##100## ns lifetime, what is the associated linewidth? Is it ##1/(100 \times 10^{-9} s) = 10## MHz? Or is it ##10/(2\pi) = 1.6## MHz? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
All derivations that I have seen give lifetime = τ = h /2π Γ

Likes topsquark
gleem said:
All derivations that I have seen give lifetime = τ = h /2π Γ
So the formula would be ##\tau = \frac{1}{\Gamma}##, given that usually ##\hbar = 1##, right? So the linewidth is 10 MHz?

Usually for calculations ħ = 1.05457 . . .10-34 joules⋅sec

anyway Γ = h /2πτ = h ν → ν = 1 / 2πτ = 1.5916 MHz

Likes topsquark and vanhees71
gleem said:
Usually for calculations ħ = 1.05457 . . .10-34 joules⋅sec

anyway Γ = h /2πτ = h ν → ν = 1 / 2πτ = 1.5916 MHz
Thanks for this! I get the same result as you, but I am a bit confused by the values quoted in literature. For example in the paper attached below (this is how my confusion started), in the last paragraph of the first page, they claim a FWHM of 30 MHz, while in the last paragraph on the second page they mention a lifetime (of the same levels) of 46.1 and 56 ns. Applying the formula above I would get a FWHM of ~3 MHz? Where is this factor of 10 difference coming from. Are there multiple definitions of the used terminology?

Attachments

• PhysRevA.84.012508.pdf
    573.8 KB · Views: 89
I am not familiar with this research and its nomenclature. However, as a guess, I think the relationship between the first and second page is that the 30 Mhz linewidth on page one may have been from an earlier experiment of lower resolution which would have a lifetime of 100 nsec. The second page relates to a later higher resolution experiment which resolved the previous 30 Mhz peak into three peaks (lines) one with a lifetime of 46 nsec and one with 56 nsec. lifetime the sum of which adds to 100 nsec. The third was too short to measure. This is probably wrong but the best I can do at this time.

Likes topsquark
gleem said:
I am not familiar with this research and its nomenclature. However, as a guess, I think the relationship between the first and second page is that the 30 Mhz linewidth on page one may have been from an earlier experiment of lower resolution which would have a lifetime of 100 nsec. The second page relates to a later higher resolution experiment which resolved the previous 30 Mhz peak into three peaks (lines) one with a lifetime of 46 nsec and one with 56 nsec. lifetime the sum of which adds to 100 nsec. The third was too short to measure. This is probably wrong but the best I can do at this time.
Thanks for your reply! Actually the 2 transitions they are talking about are very far apart (on the order of THz). This is a molecular paper so it is a bit more complicated than atoms, but basically the 2 transitions they are talking about, they claim to both have ~30 MHz, then they say the first one has a 46.1 ns and the second one 56 ns lifetime (in this case there is no 3rd transition). So I am quite sure that the resolving power was not an issue, but I will look more in the literature (whether is atoms or molecules the formula should be the same).

Malamala said:
This is a molecular paper so it is a bit more complicated than atoms, but basically the 2 transitions they are talking about, they claim to both have ~30 MHz, then they say the first one has a 46.1 ns and the second one 56 ns lifetime (in this case there is no 3rd transition).

They claim to use laser-induced fluorescence detection in the first paragraph and then state that they can do so at near the natural linewidth limit of 30 MHz. This is the resolution of the laser-induced fluorescence detection and should therefore be the linewidth of the laser. It is not related to the linewidth of the transitions at all (except that it is an upper limit for the actual linewidth of the transitions), but it is the resolution limit they can achieve using this method.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the 2π factor and how does it relate to lifetime and linewidth?

The 2π factor is a mathematical constant that is used to calculate the lifetime and linewidth of a system. It is derived from the equation for the energy levels of a system, and it relates the energy difference between two levels to the frequency of the emitted or absorbed radiation.

2. How does solving the 2π factor help in understanding the behavior of a system?

Solving the 2π factor allows scientists to accurately calculate the lifetime and linewidth of a system, which can provide valuable information about its behavior. This can help in understanding the dynamics and stability of the system, as well as its interactions with other systems.

3. Can the 2π factor be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the 2π factor can be applied to any system that follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This includes atoms, molecules, and even larger systems such as nanoparticles or quantum dots.

4. How is the 2π factor related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. The 2π factor is a result of this principle and is used to calculate the uncertainty in the energy levels of a system.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the 2π factor?

Yes, understanding the 2π factor has many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, spectroscopy, and laser technology. It allows scientists to accurately predict and control the behavior of systems, leading to advancements in various technologies.