Lift and drag coefficients vs AoA graphs of a specific NACA profile

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the lift and drag coefficients for NACA profiles are determined through a combination of computer simulations and wind tunnel testing, with both methods assuming a specific Reynolds number. While it is possible to calculate the coefficients analytically for simple profiles, NACA profiles are complex and require simulation and testing for accurate results. For more detailed information, the book "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and Von Doenhoff is recommended.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
How the lift coefficient ##C_L## versus #AoA## curve and the drag coefficient ##C_D## versus ##AoA## curve are calculated for a specific NACA profile...
Hello,
I would like to understand know how the lift coefficient ##C_L## versus AoA curve and the drag coefficient ##C_D## versus AoA curve are determined for the various tabulated NACA profiles.

Are computer simulation run for the different profiles assuming a certain Reynolds' number? Or can the two curves, the lift coefficient ##C_L## versus ##AoA## curve and the drag coefficient ##C_D## versus ##AoA## curve, be calculated analytically for every profile?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you REALLY want to know how lift and drag are calculated, get a copy of Theory of Wing Sections, by Abbott and Von Doenhoff. Read the first five chapters.

I bought my copy back in 1987, and it helped convince me that I did not want to design and build my own airplane.

Likes fog37

Hello there,

Great question! The lift coefficient ##C_L## and drag coefficient ##C_D## curves for NACA profiles are typically determined through a combination of computer simulations and wind tunnel testing. Computer simulations use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to model the flow around the profile and calculate the lift and drag coefficients at various angles of attack (AoA). Wind tunnel testing involves physically testing the profile in a controlled environment and measuring the lift and drag forces.

Both methods usually assume a specific Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in the flow. This is because the lift and drag coefficients are dependent on the Reynolds number. However, some advanced simulation methods can also account for changes in the Reynolds number.

While it is possible to calculate the lift and drag coefficients analytically for simple profiles, NACA profiles are complex and require the use of simulation and testing for accurate results. I hope this helps to answer your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

1. What is a NACA profile?

A NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) profile is a specific airfoil shape that is used in the design of aircraft wings. It is named after the committee that developed it in the 1920s and is characterized by a series of numbers that describe its shape.

2. What is an AoA graph?

An AoA (Angle of Attack) graph shows the relationship between the angle at which an airfoil meets the oncoming air (AoA) and the lift and drag coefficients of the airfoil. It is used to analyze the performance of an airfoil at different angles of attack.

3. What do the lift and drag coefficients represent?

The lift coefficient represents the amount of lift generated by an airfoil at a specific angle of attack. It is a dimensionless quantity that takes into account the shape, size, and orientation of the airfoil. The drag coefficient represents the amount of drag or resistance experienced by an airfoil at a specific angle of attack. It is also a dimensionless quantity that takes into account the same factors as the lift coefficient.

4. How does the lift and drag coefficient change with AoA?

As the angle of attack increases, the lift coefficient initially increases until it reaches its maximum value, known as the critical angle of attack. After this point, the lift coefficient decreases due to flow separation and the formation of a turbulent wake. The drag coefficient also increases with AoA, reaching its maximum value at the critical angle of attack, before decreasing again due to flow separation.

5. How can I use the lift and drag coefficient vs AoA graph for a specific NACA profile?

The lift and drag coefficient vs AoA graph can be used to determine the optimal angle of attack for an airfoil, where the lift coefficient is at its maximum and the drag coefficient is at its minimum. This information is crucial in designing efficient and high-performing aircraft wings. The graph can also be used to compare the performance of different NACA profiles and to identify any potential issues, such as flow separation, at certain angles of attack.