Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to make a light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans that will have enough thrust to lift me like 10 feet off the ground. the only problem is I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M DOING. can anyone help me???

i weigh 134 pounds, and the craft will weigh around 50-80. that puts the weight without the batteries and fans at 184-214 pounds. i know i need more thrust than what the object weighs to get it to float higher, but the fans will weigh a lot also, wont they? so I'm guessing i need more than 250 pounds of thrust. Anyone know how much thrust, voltage, amps, and horsepower i need to float a 214+ pound object 10 feet off the ground?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Artemis.
    You're not going to get a hovercraft 10' off of the ground no matter what you do. Huge commercial vehicles with turbine engines don't lift that far. The whole point of a hovercraft is to just skim the surface.

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Hovercrafts only work because they are so close to the ground.
    When you get farther away you switch from a hovercraft to a helicopter -> which requires tremendously more airflow and therefore more power.

5. May 8, 2008 #4
    oh. ok

6. Aug 18, 2008 #5
    Re: help!!!!

is 45lbs too heawy for the deck of my HC?

7. Aug 18, 2008 #6

has anyone ever made a one engine hovercraft here!?

8. Aug 18, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

We have nowhere near enough information to answer that question - we know nothing about your hovercraft!

9. Aug 18, 2008 #8

sorry my dad told me that too, i have a one engine split thrust hc with a yamaha 440 snowmobile and i way about 130lbs

10. Aug 18, 2008 #9
  11. Aug 18, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Very cool hybrid craft, but what gets that craft a few feet off the ground isn't the hovercraft mode, it's the ground-effect airplane mode. Danger is absolutely correct: a standard hovercraft is limited to mere inches of altitude, inherrent in the design.

Btw, moving this to the aerospace forum.

12. Aug 19, 2008 #11

mythbusters made hovercrafts from everyday objects, maybe watch that episode

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?