Light intensity, Max KE of photoelectrons

In summary: Thanks for all of your help!In summary, if a light source were increased by a factor of 2 in intensity, the value of KE_max of each photoelectron would stay the same. Each photoelectron would still have the same amount of energy KE=hf-\phi since each electron only absorbs energy from one photon.
AznBoi
Please check to see if my solution is correct:

Question:
If a light source were increased by a factor of 2 in intensity, what would happen to the value of KE_max of each photoelectron?

My solution:
KE_max would stay the same because increasing the intesity by a factor of two would only increase the amount of photoelectrons by a factor of 2. However each photoelectron would still have the same amount of energy [tex]KE=hf-\phi[/tex] since each electron only absorbs energy from one photon.

Is my solution entirely correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good

Okay thanks!

So for any EM source, to calculate it's wavelength you would always use this equation: [tex]v=f*\lambda[/tex] right? Do you always use the speed of light (c=3x10^8) for (v) if the radiation is electromagnetic? It would only change if the wave was propagated through another medium right?

Last edited:
AznBoi said:
So for any EM source, to calculate it's wavelength you would always use this equation: [tex]v=f*\lambda[/tex] right?

Yes, this is basic:

[tex] v = \frac{\lambda}{T} [/tex]

where T is the period. This equation says that the speed of the wave can be calculated from the distance it travels in one period divided by the duration of one period (speed = distance / time, after all). Of course, 1/T = f. That's how you can easily understand and recall this equation.

AznBoi said:
Do you always use the speed of light (c=3x10^8) for (v) if the radiation is electromagnetic?

No.

AznBoi said:
It would only change if the wave was propagated through another medium right?

Yes. (The answer to this question explains the answer to the previous question. The two assertions cannot both be true, of course. Either the speed changes or it is always c. 'Always' is an absolute).

Thanks for allowing me to comprehend all of this! I understand it now. =]

Also I'm confused about this:
Relate the linear momentum of a photon to its energy or wavelength , and apply linear momentum conservation to simple processes involving the emission, absorption, or reflection of photons.

[tex]p=mv \qquad I know that \quad E=KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=hf-\phi = h\frac{v}{\lambda}-\phi [/tex] but I still don't get exactly what they are asking, how do you combine these two if the momentum is missing the 1/2 and square? (^2)? I don't get the rest of the objective either.

Also, following Thompson's cathode ray experiment, how do you derive the charge to mass ratio? I know that but I'm confused on how to simply that further to get: q/m= _____. Please help, Thanks!

Hmm...well keep in mind that photons are massless particles, and so the relation p = mv is not the correct relation for the momentum. I think the correct relation comes from special relativity and is given by:

E = pc

==> p = E/c = h/lambda

I'm not sure whether you are expected to know this at this stage in your studies.

Oh yeah, that's on my equation list. Okay, thanks now I know what to look for. =]

Wow, so far I've gotten many of these atomic problems wrong because of the units. When should I convert (eV) to Joules of vice versa? It's hard to determine when you need to convert and when you don't. =/

Hmm...well keep in mind that you can't go wrong if *everything* is in SI units, in which case you'd measure energy in Joules. But I can't think of a general set of circumstances in which it's more convenient to keep things in eVs. I'd have to see a specific example.

Okay, I think I'm just going to convert everything to SI units because if you leave (eV) units in there, you aren't able to use (kg) or (m) units right? Thanks for all of your help!

In order to use 6.6*10-34 for Planks constant, things need to be in Joules. To work in eV for things like energy levels, use 4.1*10-15 eV*s

1. What is light intensity?

Light intensity refers to the amount of light energy per unit area reaching a surface. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2) and is directly proportional to the brightness of the light source.

2. How does light intensity affect the maximum kinetic energy (KE) of photoelectrons?

According to the photoelectric effect, the maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light, and thus indirectly proportional to the wavelength. This means that as light intensity increases, the number of photons hitting the surface increases, resulting in more photoelectrons being emitted with higher maximum KE.

3. What is the relationship between light intensity and the number of photoelectrons emitted?

The number of photoelectrons emitted is directly proportional to the light intensity. This means that as the intensity of light increases, the number of photoelectrons emitted also increases.

4. How does light intensity affect the work function of a material?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. Light intensity does not directly affect the work function, but it does indirectly affect the maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons, which is related to the work function through the equation KE = hf - Φ, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the incident light.

5. How can light intensity be measured?

Light intensity can be measured using a light meter, also known as a lux meter or a photometer. This device measures the amount of light energy per unit area and gives a reading in units of lux (lx) or foot-candles (fc).