Does Light Refraction in Water Lead to Ultraviolet Emission at Extreme Depths?

In summary, the speed of light in a medium is given by ##c/n##, where ##n## is the index of refraction.
Sirfrijole
As light travels through water, it's wavelength is shortened to compensate for the decrease in speed. This explains why there is little to no red light at depth. My question is: a) do these wavelengths eventually reach ultraviolet and beyond, for example at extreme depth are there only x rays present, and b) do these rays still carry enough energy to cause cell damage like they do normally?

Science news on Phys.org
Sirfrijole said:
This explains why there is little to no red light at depth.
No it does not. This has to do with attenuation, not refraction.

This link has information about how much the various wavelengths of EM waves are absorbed by water. In the second diagram down, the graph shows a minimum of absorption in the blue region but absorption rises quite fast in the UV direction. You wouldn't need a great depth of water to cut out UV to an insignificant level. X Rays are another matter - but they are not present in appreciable quantities, basically because of the spectrum of sunlight. Atmospheric Ozone does a good job of screening us from UV (but not enough to do without your Factor 20 cream!
PS Try to avoid home brewed ideas in PF contributions - someone will always pick you up on it. (Very touchy about such things, here) :smile:

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
This link
Which link? :wink:

Sirfrijole said:
As light travels through water, it's wavelength is shortened to compensate for the decrease in speed. This explains why there is little to no red light at depth. My question is: a) do these wavelengths eventually reach ultraviolet and beyond, for example at extreme depth are there only x rays present, and b) do these rays still carry enough energy to cause cell damage like they do normally?

The energy per photon does not change when light travels through a medium, even though the wavelength changes. Its frequency remains the same as does its energy. Also consider that light has to pass through your eye to reach your retina, so the index of refraction of the water is irrelevant since light just goes back to the "normal" refractive index when it enters your eye (normal meaning the same as during your day-to-day life outside of water).

even though the wavelength changes. Its frequency remains the same as does its energy.
This cannot be right, surely?
I mean sure if the frequency remains constant, then the energy must, but if wavelength changes, frequency must change or otherwise, the speed does.

I've long held that light "slowing down" in a medium is a myth because light, being massless can ONLY ever travel at c, the medium is irrelevant.There are delays due to absorption/emission and an increase in distance traveled due to scattering.

_PJ_ said:
the speed does.
The speed of a light wave in a medium is given by ##c/n##, where ##n## is the index of refraction.
_PJ_ said:
I've long held that light "slowing down" in a medium is a myth because light, being massless can ONLY ever travel at c, the medium is irrelevant.There are delays due to absorption/emission and an increase in distance traveled due to scattering.
You would simply be wrong. If you knew anything about how light is described either clasically or in QED, you would understand why. Hint: The dispersion relation changes in the presence of a background medium.

I do hope that you realize that light slowing down in a medium is a well tested experimental fact. In fact, it was known long before Einstein's work that light in a moving medium is dragged along with the medium to some extent, see eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau_experiment .

_PJ_ said:
There are delays due to absorption/emission and an increase in distance traveled due to scattering.
This is a typical example of "lies we tell kids". In reality, the index of refraction is a result of the well understood phenomenon of coherent forward scattering.

_PJ_ said:
This cannot be right, surely?
I mean sure if the frequency remains constant, then the energy must, but if wavelength changes, frequency must change or otherwise, the speed does.

You need to dig down and figure out what is meant by speed of light. It is the group velocity of light! This is what we measure, and this is what has been measured to slow down in ordinary medium. So it isn't a myth! By invoking photons, you are applying apples to explain oranges.

Zz.

DrClaude said:

To quote from the article:

So the lattice does not absorb this photon and it is re-emitted but with a very slight delay. This, naively, is the origin of the apparent slowdown of the light speed in the material.

At first glance this appears to support PJ's stance that a delay in emission is responsible for light traveling slower than c in a medium. What am I missing?

Again, it has to do with what we mean as the "speed of light". While the speed of photon may be constant at "c", this is NOT the "speed of light" that we usually measure. We do not measure the speed of a photon. We measure the "pulse" of light, and this is the speed that we measure.

So to say that a variation in the speed of light in a medium is a myth is false based on what we actually measure.

Zz.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
At first glance this appears to support PJ's stance that a delay in emission is responsible for light traveling slower than c in a medium. What am I missing?
I must apologise for saying "absoption/emisison".
This was utterly incorrect and a result of sheer laziness on my part. I oversimplified and used the wrong words - which actually made reference to an old conjecture that minute delays due to absorption/emission might slow the ovberall path of light through 'solid matter'.
Obviously, this is not sufficient. One only needs to consider that a vast majority of photons would not interact with any electrons (certainly not nucleons) in even the most dense matter.

I am sorry for my miswording to dredge up this old idea and insist this was not at all what I meant, nor the actual reason for my "long held belief". What I ought to have described, was that my point remains that light travels at c. Within different media, you will always obtain a result of overall displacement / proper time resulting less than this value because of the interactions within the electromagnetic fields which can be expressed as a virtual sea of photons.

An inaccurate but visual (no pun) analogy is that of figuring the journey for a distance from a map. The map will show only 2 dimensions, not the topographical height, so the actual time recorded for journey will always be longer than planned for a constant speed of the car.

ZapperZ said:
Again, it has to do with what we mean as the "speed of light". While the speed of photon may be constant at "c", this is NOT the "speed of light" that we usually measure. We do not measure the speed of a photon. We measure the "pulse" of light, and this is the speed that we measure.
And we measure only the overall displacement divided by the proper time we measure, there's no way to observer photons travelling, for any measurement, they exist only having travelled. (or at a location, not having traveled at all)

1. What is light refraction in water?

Light refraction in water is the bending of light as it passes from one medium (air) to another (water). This is due to the change in speed of light when it travels through different densities, causing the light to change direction.

2. Why does light refract in water?

This is because water is denser than air, so when light passes through the water, it slows down and changes direction. This is known as the refractive index, and it affects the angle at which the light bends.

3. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects in water?

Refraction in water can make objects appear to be in a different position or distorted due to the bending of light. This is why objects may appear closer or larger when viewed through water.

4. How does temperature affect light refraction in water?

Temperature can affect the refractive index of water, which in turn affects the amount of bending that occurs. As temperature increases, the density of water decreases, resulting in less refraction.

5. How is light refraction in water used in everyday life?

Light refraction in water is used in various applications, such as in the design of eyeglasses and camera lenses. It is also used in the field of underwater photography and in the study of marine life. Additionally, it is used in the process of bending light through prisms to create rainbows.