Lightlike geodesic in AdS5xS5, plane wave background

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a step in lecture notes on AdS_5 x S^5 plane wave background. The metric is studied close to a lightlike geodesic by making a change of coordinates. The result is a summation of terms, with some terms being dropped in the R->infinity limit. The conversation also discusses the expansion of cos and cosh and how it leads to some of the terms in the solution.
physicus

Homework Statement

My question is about a step in the lecture notes [http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0307101] on page 6, and it is probably quite trivial:

I want to see why a lightlike particle in [itex]AdS_5\times S^5[/itex] sees the metric as plane wave background. The metric is
[itex]ds^2=R^2(-dt^2 \cosh^2\rho+d\rho^2+\sinh^2\rho \,d\Omega_3^2[/itex][itex]+d\psi^2\cos^2\theta+d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta\,\Omega_3'^2)[/itex]

In order to study the metric close to a lightlike geodesic we make the follwoing change of coordinates:
[itex]{x}^+=\frac{1}{2\mu}(t+\psi), {x}^-=\frac{\mu R^2}{2}(t-\psi), \rho=\frac{r}{R}, \theta=\frac{y}{R}[/itex]

I am supposed to get in the [itex]R\to\infty[/itex] limit
[itex]ds^2=R^2(-\mu^2(dx^+)^2+\mu^2(dx^+)^2)+(-2dx^+dx^--\mu^2r^2(dx^+)^2+dr^2+r^2d\Omega_3^2[/itex] [itex]-2dx^+dx^--\mu^2y^2(dx^+)^2+dy^2+y^2d\Omega'{}_3^2)+\mathcal{O}(R^{-2})[/itex]

This is not the final result, but from there on I know how to continue.

Homework Equations

[itex]\cosh x=1+\frac{1}{2}x^2+\mathcal{O}(x^4), \cos x=1-\frac{1}{2}x^2+\mathcal{O}(x^4)[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \cosh^2 x = 1+x^2+\mathcal{O}(x^4), \cosh^2 x = 1-x^2+\mathcal{O}(x^4)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can expand in [itex]\rho, \theta[/itex], since they will be small in the [itex]R \to \infty[/itex] limit:
[itex]ds^2=R^2(-dt^2 \cosh^2\rho+d\rho^2+\sinh^2\rho \,d\Omega_3^2+d\psi^2\cos^2\theta+d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta\,\Omega'{}_3^2)[/itex]
[itex]=R^2(-dt^2(1+\rho^2)+d\rho^2+\rho^2d\Omega_3^2+d\psi^2(1-\theta^2)+d\theta^2+\theta^2d\Omega'{}_3^2)+\mathcal{O}(R^{-2})[/itex]
[itex]=R^2(-dt^2+d\psi^2)+(-dt^2r^2+dr^2+r^2d\Omega_3^2-d\psi^2y^2+dy^2+y^2d\Omega'{}_3^2=+\mathcal{O}(R^{-2})[/itex]

Now I use:
[itex] dx^+dx^-=\frac{1}{2\mu}(dt+d\psi)\frac{\mu R^2}{2}(dt-d\psi)=\frac{R^2}{4}(dt^2-d\psi^2)[/itex]
So the first term above is [itex]R^2(-dt^2+d\psi^2)=-4dx^+dx^-[/itex].

However, I do not know where all the [itex](dx^+)^2[/itex] in the solution are coming from, since
[itex](dx^+)^2=\frac{1}{4\mu^2}(dt^2+2dt\,d\psi+d\psi^2)[/itex]
Where do these mixed [itex]dt\,d\psi[/itex] terms come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
They come from quadratic terms in the expansion of cos and cosh that are finite in the scaling limit.

Thank you, but could you be a bit more precise, please. From comparing the given result and what I got so far I should be able to show:
[itex]-dt^2r^2-d\psi^2y^2=R^2(-\mu^2(dx^+)^2+\mu^2(dx^+)^2)-\mu^2r^2(dx^+)^2-\mu^2y^2(dx^+)^2[/itex]
The left hand sinde are those quadratic terms from the expansion of [itex]\cos[/itex] and [itex]\cosh[/itex]. Since the first part of the right hand side is 0 anyways, I don't mind to much that I don't get that one, but I still don't see the equality:
[itex]-\mu^2r^2(dx^+)^2-\mu^2y^2(dx^+)^2=-\frac{r^2+y^2}{4}(dt^2+2dt\,d\psi+d\psi^2)[/itex]
Why is this equal to [itex]-r^2dt^2-y^2d\psi^2[/itex]?

physicus said:
Thank you, but could you be a bit more precise, please. From comparing the given result and what I got so far I should be able to show:
[itex]-dt^2r^2-d\psi^2y^2=R^2(-\mu^2(dx^+)^2+\mu^2(dx^+)^2)-\mu^2r^2(dx^+)^2-\mu^2y^2(dx^+)^2[/itex]
The left hand sinde are those quadratic terms from the expansion of [itex]\cos[/itex] and [itex]\cosh[/itex]. Since the first part of the right hand side is 0 anyways, I don't mind to much that I don't get that one, but I still don't see the equality:
[itex]-\mu^2r^2(dx^+)^2-\mu^2y^2(dx^+)^2=-\frac{r^2+y^2}{4}(dt^2+2dt\,d\psi+d\psi^2)[/itex]
Why is this equal to [itex]-r^2dt^2-y^2d\psi^2[/itex]?

You are making the mistake of working backwards from the answer, when there are terms that get dropped in the limit. You can't obtain these original terms from just the finite part, hence your confusion. Express ##t,\psi## in terms of ##x^\pm## and just write down what

$$-dt^2r^2-d\psi^2y^2$$

works out to be.

Perfect, thanks!

Related to Lightlike geodesic in AdS5xS5, plane wave background

1. What is a lightlike geodesic?

A lightlike geodesic is a path in spacetime that is followed by a massless particle, such as a photon, at the speed of light. It is the shortest path between two points in curved spacetime, and it is determined by the geometry of the spacetime itself.

2. What is AdS5xS5?

AdS5xS5 refers to a specific type of spacetime known as anti-de Sitter space, which is a five-dimensional hyperbolic space. The "x" symbol denotes a direct product, indicating that this spacetime is a combination of two different spaces - AdS5 and S5, which is a five-dimensional sphere. This particular spacetime is often used in string theory and is known for its mathematical elegance and symmetry.

3. What does "plane wave background" mean?

A plane wave background is a type of spacetime that is characterized by a uniform, flat wavefront. In other words, the curvature of spacetime is constant in all directions, creating a flat "plane" surface. In the context of AdS5xS5, the plane wave background is a specific type of metric that can be used to describe the geometry of this spacetime.

4. How is a lightlike geodesic calculated in AdS5xS5, plane wave background?

The calculation of a lightlike geodesic in AdS5xS5, plane wave background involves solving a set of differential equations known as the geodesic equations. These equations describe the path of a massless particle through curved spacetime and can be solved using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory or numerical methods.

5. Why is the study of lightlike geodesics in AdS5xS5, plane wave background important?

The study of lightlike geodesics in AdS5xS5, plane wave background is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows us to better understand the geometry and dynamics of this particular spacetime, which has important implications for theories such as string theory. Additionally, the study of lightlike geodesics can help us understand the behavior of particles at the speed of light and the effects of curved spacetime on their motion.