Lightning vs Hydrogen Fuel for Space Travel

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods of propulsion in space, including the use of hydrogen fuel, Newton's third law of motion, and the energy produced by lightning bolts. The idea of storing a lightning bolt in a graphene Tesla coil is also mentioned, along with the suggestion of using two Tesla coils to create directional thrust. However, it is ultimately determined that this idea is not feasible.
HawkI
In space Hydrogen fuel is burned and propels the spaceship forward in the direction it's facing.

Newton's third law of motion states that for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

A lightning bolt makes around Five Billion Joules of energy.

I can't find specific numbers for Hydrogen fuel burning right now but I think it would be less.

Apart from the safety hazard to other rockets, satellites and earth, what do you think?

Science news on Phys.org
I would store the lightning bolt in a Graphene Tesla Coil. Not sure how I would sort out the Directional Thrust though?

It seems more like you are throwing buzz words around. How is Newton third law related to the lightning bolt?
And what do you want to compare? Burning enough hydrogen you can always get more energy than the one allegedly contained in a lighting bolt. Or in anything else.
You store the lighting bolt in a Tesla Coil?

A lightning bolt makes around Five Billion Joules of energy.

Google suggests that the Saturn 5 engines delivered around 180 million horsepower = about 135 Billion Joules per second.

PS: If you want to make some sort of Electric powered Saturn 5 you will need a big "battery".

nasu said:
You store the lighting bolt in a Tesla Coil?

That's where I checked out, yeah. Just the term "Tesla Coil" itself is usually a red flag. Plus graphene? And then storing something in it? Yeaaaahhhh...

I may have figured out how to get some directional thrust going, you get a second Tesla Coil and cross the beams!

Exactly what sort of "beam" do you think a Tesla coil makes?

CWatters said:
Exactly what sort of "beam" do you think a Tesla coil makes?
Shades of Ghostbusters here. DO NOT CROSS THE BEAMS!

Nonsense thread is closed.

What is the difference between lightning and hydrogen fuel for space travel?

Lightning is a natural phenomenon that occurs when there is a discharge of electricity between a cloud and the ground. It is a sudden and powerful release of energy. Hydrogen fuel, on the other hand, is a chemical fuel that can be used to power rockets and space vehicles. It is a clean and efficient source of energy that can be produced through various processes.

Which one is more efficient for space travel?

Hydrogen fuel is generally considered to be more efficient for space travel. This is because it has a higher energy density and can provide more power for a longer period of time compared to lightning. Additionally, hydrogen fuel can be controlled and directed, making it a more reliable and controllable source of energy for space travel.

Is one of them more environmentally friendly?

Hydrogen fuel is considered to be more environmentally friendly compared to lightning. Lightning is a natural phenomenon and cannot be controlled or harnessed for space travel. On the other hand, hydrogen fuel can be produced using renewable energy sources and does not emit harmful pollutants into the environment.

Can lightning be used as a source of energy for space travel?

At this time, lightning cannot be used as a direct source of energy for space travel. However, researchers are exploring the potential of using lightning as a way to generate electricity that can then be used to produce hydrogen fuel. This could make lightning indirectly useful for space travel in the future.

Are there any risks associated with using hydrogen fuel for space travel?

Like any other form of energy, there are some risks associated with using hydrogen fuel for space travel. One of the main concerns is the potential for explosions or fires if the fuel is not handled properly. However, with proper safety measures and regulations in place, these risks can be minimized. In comparison, lightning can also be dangerous and unpredictable, but it is not a controllable source of energy for space travel.