1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightning Rocket Fuel

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    In space Hydrogen fuel is burned and propels the space ship forward in the direction it's facing.

Newton's third law of motion states that for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

A lightning bolt makes around Five Billion Joules of energy.

I can't find specific numbers for Hydrogen fuel burning right now but I think it would be less.

Apart from the safety hazard to other rockets, satellites and earth, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    I would store the lightning bolt in a Graphene Tesla Coil. Not sure how I would sort out the Directional Thrust though?

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4
    It seems more like you are throwing buzz words around. How is Newton third law related to the lightning bolt?
    And what do you want to compare? Burning enough hydrogen you can always get more energy than the one allegedly contained in a lighting bolt. Or in anything else.
    You store the lighting bolt in a Tesla Coil?

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google suggests that the Saturn 5 engines delivered around 180 million horsepower = about 135 Billion Joules per second.

PS: If you want to make some sort of Electric powered Saturn 5 you will need a big "battery".

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6
    That's where I checked out, yeah. Just the term "Tesla Coil" itself is usually a red flag. Plus graphene? And then storing something in it? Yeaaaahhhh...

8. Apr 27, 2015 #7
    I may have figured out how to get some directional thrust going, you get a second Tesla Coil and cross the beams!

9. Apr 27, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly what sort of "beam" do you think a Tesla coil makes?

10. Apr 27, 2015 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shades of Ghostbusters here. DO NOT CROSS THE BEAMS!!!!!

11. Apr 27, 2015 #10

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nonsense thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook