What is the limit as n approaches infinity for (1 + \frac{1}{n+1}) ^ {3-n}?

• Thread starter shan
  • Start date
In summary, the question concerns finding the limit as n approaches infinity of (1 + \frac{1}{n+1}) ^ {3-n}. Initially, the idea was to evaluate the expression inside the bracket first and then tackle the power, but this proved incorrect. The correct approach involves changing the variable from n to m-1 and using exponent rules to simplify the expression. The final answer is 1/e.
shan
It seems to an area I'm really fuzzy on. Anyway, the question I've having problems with is

lim as n->infinity[tex]
(1 + \frac{1}{n+1}) ^ {3-n}
[/tex]

At first, I thought I could evaluate the stuff inside the bracket first and then take care of the power ie

lim as n->infinity[tex]
(1 + \frac{1}{n+1})
[/tex] = 1

so lim as n->infinity[tex]
(1 + \frac{1}{n+1}) ^ {3-n} = 1 ^ {3-n} = 1
[/tex]

But that's not right... (I drew up a graph and did some calculations, it's supposed to be 0.36-something)

Then I thought I could make it equal to
[tex]e^{lim (3-n)ln\frac{n+2}{n+1}}[/tex]
so I could get rid of the (3-n) power, but then I would end up with infinity * 0 on top of the e.

A clue as to what I should be doing please? ^^ Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First I would change the variable from n to m-1. If m goes to infinity, n does as well, so you'll get the same limit. Then, do you know the formula for e? See if you can put this in a similar form.

use exponent rules to reduce the original expression. [tex] X^{a+b}= X^a X^b [/tex] and then try it.

Ok using what both of you said...

if n = m-1

[tex](1 + \frac{1}{m}) ^ {2-m}[/tex]

and using an exponent rule to get

[tex]\frac {(1 + \frac{1}{m}) ^ 2}{(1 + \frac{1}{m}) ^ m}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac {1}{e}[/tex]

... which seems to be the answer... thanks very much StatusX and Gale17 :)

oops sorry, I'm missing the lim as m->infinity signs...

well if you put those in, it makes sense :)

What is the concept of "Lim as n->infinity"?

The concept of "Lim as n->infinity" refers to the limit of a function as the input variable approaches infinity. It is used to describe the behavior of a function as its input value becomes infinitely large.

How is "Lim as n->infinity" calculated?

The limit as n->infinity is calculated by evaluating the function at increasingly larger values of the input variable, and observing the trend in the output values. If the output values approach a finite number as the input value becomes larger and larger, then that finite number is the limit as n->infinity. If the output values become increasingly larger or smaller as the input value increases, then the limit as n->infinity does not exist.

Why is "Lim as n->infinity" important in mathematics?

The concept of "Lim as n->infinity" is important in mathematics because it allows us to describe the behavior of a function as its input value becomes infinitely large. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics and economics, where variables may approach infinity. It also helps us understand the properties and characteristics of functions at infinity.

What are some common misconceptions about "Lim as n->infinity"?

One common misconception about "Lim as n->infinity" is that it always gives a definite answer. In reality, the limit as n->infinity may not exist for certain functions. Another misconception is that the limit must always be a finite number, when in fact it can also be infinity or negative infinity.

How can "Lim as n->infinity" be used in real-life situations?

The concept of "Lim as n->infinity" is used in various real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and economics, to model and analyze systems that involve variables approaching infinity. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum speed of a car or the maximum profit of a company as certain variables approach infinity.