Lim x->+inf xsin(1/x)

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
In summary: This distance is called the "infinite distance." The function sin(1/x) is discontinuous at x=+∞, because at that point, the sin(1/x) evaluates to infinity. However, if you substitute x=+∞ into the original function, you find that the sin(1/x) is still discontinuous at x=+∞, but now it evaluates to 1.
fishingspree2
Hello,

[tex]\[
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to + \infty } x\sin ({\textstyle{1 \over x}})
\]
[/tex]

In my textbook they show a way to do this limit using variable substitution. I understand how they did it,

however, before I saw what they did, I tryed to work it out intuitively... as x goes to infinity, 1/x goes to 0... since sin(0) = 0, then the limit must be equal to 0

the correct answer is 1, but I don't understand why the intuitive method fails. can somebody help me out?

thank you, sorry for bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
fishingspree2 said:
Hello,

[tex]\[
\]
[/tex]

In my textbook they show a way to do this limit using variable substitution. I understand how they did it,

however, before I saw what they did, I tryed to work it out intuitively... as x goes to infinity, 1/x goes to 0... since sin(0) = 0, then the limit must be equal to 0
"Intuitively" sin(1/x) goes to 0. It does not follow that x sin(1/x) goes to 0 because x is going to infinity. You can't say "[itex]\infty*0= 0[/itex]".

the correct answer is 1, but I don't understand why the intuitive method fails. can somebody help me out?

Your English is excellent.

Apply the La'Hospital rule

for that first of all convert the equation to form such that after applying limit directly we get 0/0 or infinity/infinity form. Then differentiate both the numerator and the denomenator and then apply the limit thus

f(x) = xsin(1/x) convert to f(x)/g(x) form i.e.
f(x)/g(x) = sin(1/x)/1/x which is now in the form of 0/0 ,then according to La'Hospital rule
f(x)/g(x) = f'(x)/g'(x) thus
f'(x)/g'(x) = [-1/x2cos(1/x)]/-1/x2

this gives

f'(x)/g'(x) = cos(1/x) now apply the limit to this derivative
which gives cos(1/infinity) = cos(0) = 1 which is the answer

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but is there a way to show that the function x*sin(1/x) tends to 1 as x goes to infinity without using l'Hospital's rule?

Do you know the formula

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}=1[/tex]

if you don't know it, then I don't think you can do the question...

I remember it from high school, but we haven't proven it in class at the university. We have done the limit of this function as x approaches 0, however, and with that one I don't have a problem. Is there perhaps a way you'd be able to squeeze xsin(1/x) between two functions that converge to 1 as x approaches plus infinity?

You could probably prove it with the following inequality

[tex]|\sin(1/x)|\leq 1/|x|\leq |\tan(1/x)|[/tex]

The proof of this is nontrivial... You can see it in the following great video:

Last edited by a moderator:
squuezing theorem

using squuezing theorem

limx→∞ tan-1(x)
x

solve.

fishingspree2 said:
Hello,

[tex]\[
\]
[/tex]

For small |y|, [itex] \sin y = y + O(|y|^3),[/itex] so for large x, [itex] \sin(1/x) = 1/x + O(1/x^3).[/itex] That implies [itex] x \sin(1/x) = 1 + O(1/x^2) \rightarrow 1[/itex] as [itex] x \rightarrow \infty.[/itex]

RGV

What is the limit of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity?

The limit of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity is equal to 0. This can be seen by using the squeeze theorem, as the function is bounded between -x and x, both of which approach 0 as x approaches infinity.

What is the behavior of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity?

The behavior of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity is that the function oscillates between -x and x, getting closer and closer to 0 but never actually reaching it. This can also be seen by graphing the function.

What is the derivative of x*sin(1/x)?

The derivative of x*sin(1/x) is equal to sin(1/x) - cos(1/x)/x. This can be found using the product rule and the chain rule, as well as the derivative of sin(x) and cos(x).

What is the significance of the function x*sin(1/x)?

The function x*sin(1/x) is significant because it is an example of a function that approaches 0 as x approaches infinity, but does not actually reach 0. This can be a useful concept in understanding limits and the behavior of functions.

How can the limit of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity be evaluated?

The limit of x*sin(1/x) as x approaches positive infinity can be evaluated using the squeeze theorem, as mentioned before. Other methods include using L'Hopital's rule or using the fact that sin(1/x) is bounded between -1 and 1, and thus the limit will also be bounded between -x and x.