1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim x->+inf xsin(1/x)

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    Hello,

[tex]\[
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to + \infty } x\sin ({\textstyle{1 \over x}})
    \]
    [/tex]

In my textbook they show a way to do this limit using variable substitution. I understand how they did it,

however, before I saw what they did, I tryed to work it out intuitively.... as x goes to infinity, 1/x goes to 0... since sin(0) = 0, then the limit must be equal to 0

the correct answer is 1, but I don't understand why the intuitive method fails. can somebody help me out?

thank you, sorry for bad english

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Intuitively" sin(1/x) goes to 0. It does not follow that x sin(1/x) goes to 0 because x is going to infinity. You can't say "[itex]\infty*0= 0[/itex]".

Your English is excellent.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Apply the La'Hospital rule

for that first of all convert the equation to form such that after applying limit directly we get 0/0 or infinity/infinity form. Then differentiate both the numerator and the denomenator and then apply the limit thus

f(x) = xsin(1/x) convert to f(x)/g(x) form i.e.
    f(x)/g(x) = sin(1/x)/1/x which is now in the form of 0/0 ,then according to La'Hospital rule
    f(x)/g(x) = f'(x)/g'(x) thus
    f'(x)/g'(x) = [-1/x2cos(1/x)]/-1/x2

this gives

f'(x)/g'(x) = cos(1/x) now apply the limit to this derivative
    which gives cos(1/infinity) = cos(0) = 1 which is the answer

5. Dec 2, 2010 #4
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but is there a way to show that the function x*sin(1/x) tends to 1 as x goes to infinity without using l'Hospital's rule?

6. Dec 2, 2010 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you know the formula

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}=1[/tex]

if you don't know it, then I don't think you can do the question...

7. Dec 2, 2010 #6
    I remember it from high school, but we haven't proven it in class at the university. We have done the limit of this function as x approaches 0, however, and with that one I don't have a problem. Is there perhaps a way you'd be able to squeeze xsin(1/x) between two functions that converge to 1 as x approaches plus infinity?

8. Dec 2, 2010 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You could probably prove it with the following inequality

[tex]|\sin(1/x)|\leq 1/|x|\leq |\tan(1/x)|[/tex]

The proof of this is nontrivial... You can see it in the following great video:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. May 17, 2012 #8
    squuezing theorem

using squuezing theorem

limx→∞ tan-1(x)
    x

solve.

10. May 17, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For small |y|, [itex] \sin y = y + O(|y|^3),[/itex] so for large x, [itex] \sin(1/x) = 1/x + O(1/x^3).[/itex] That implies [itex] x \sin(1/x) = 1 + O(1/x^2) \rightarrow 1[/itex] as [itex] x \rightarrow \infty.[/itex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?