Limit as (x,y,z)->0, I missed it on the exam but why?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Limit
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating a limit for the function f(x) = [xy+yz+zx]/[x^2+y^2+z^2] as (x,y,z) approaches (0,0,0). The person had trouble with the problem and the professor marked their answer as wrong. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem and concludes that converting to spherical coordinates is the best way to prove that the limit exists.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, This problem is bugging me because the professor showed me this is how you do it, the day before the exam, so what do i do? well I do it the way he told me, and I totally miss it. Here is the problem:

I'm going to let f(x) be the function to make it easier to read:
f(x) = [xy+yz+zx]/[x^2+y^2+z^2];

Lim f(x);
(x,y,z)->(0,0,0)

So I let
Lim f(x);
(x,y,z)->(t,3t,0)
and i got:
(xy)/(x^2+y^2) = (t)(3t)/(t^2+(3t)^2) = 3t^2/10^2 = 3/10;

Lim f(x);
(x,y,z)->(0,3t,t)

yz/(y^2+z^2) = (3t)(t)/((3t)^2+t^2)) = 3/10;

Lim f(x);
(x,y,z)->(t,0,3t)

zx/(x^2+z^2) = 3/10;

So I said the limit exists because they all go to 3/10, and yet he marked it wrong. Any ideas why this is wrong? Thanks. He's saying the limit doesn't exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it's not sufficient that you find 3 (or "n") different paths to let (x,y,z) go to (0,0,0) with the same limit to conclude that limit is correct. In reverse though, it is sufficient to find two paths which yield a different result to conclude that the limit doesn't exist.

As long as you're calculating it by approaching it differently and you keep finding the same values - the limit either exists (and is equal to that value), but you have to prove that then, or you haven't found a 'good' path yet to show it doesn't exist.

Have you tried approaching it by approaching from one of the axis alone? E.g. (t,0,0)

Last edited:
mr coffee said:
well I do it the way he told me, and I totally miss it.
I guarantee that was not the way he told you! He may very well have shown how by getting different answers along different lines you can show that a limit does not exist but I feel certain he never said that getting the same limit proves that the limit does exist!
There are, by the way, examples, in just about any Calculus book, in which you get the same limit approaching the origin along any straight line, but a different limit approaching along a parabola- so even showing that you get the same thing along any straight line does not guarantee you will have a limit.

It would have been interesting if your professor had given you a problem where the limit did exist and was, say, 3/10 - and you argued that, since taking the limit along 3 different lines all gave 3/10, the limit was 3/10.
A good professor would have marked that wrong- right answer, wrong reasoning- and it's the reasoning that is important! The best way to prove that a limit does exist, in problem with the limit at (0,0,0), is to convert to spherical coordinates. That way a single variable, [itex]\rho[/itex], measures the distance from the origin. If the limit as [itex]\rho[/itex] exists and is independent of the other variables, then the limit of the function exists and is equal to that limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question on that limit question too, is it legal to convert is to polar and let z=0, it still doesn't exist that way, but are you allowed to convert and approach on z=0?

Approach "on z= 0"? Do you mean choose only paths in the xy-plane? Yes, that's "legal" but still doesn't prove that approaching along other paths won't give you a different answer. Or did you mean approach along the z-axis (letting x and y= 0)? Same answer!

I mean take f(x) = [xy+yz+zx]/[x^2+y^2+z^2] then say consider z=0 so
f(x) becomes

f(x) = [xy]/[x^2+y^2]

now convert that to polar and it is easy to see lim dne

is this legal?

Last edited:
No. That will not work. Your particular function has the interesting property that approaching the origin from any direction in the z = 0 plane gives the same result. But the limit does not exist! Follow Halls' advice and use spherical coordinates - all will become crystal clear! :)

1. What is the definition of a limit as (x,y,z)->0?

The limit as (x,y,z)->0 is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input variables (x,y,z) approach the origin (0,0,0) in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is denoted by the notation lim(x,y,z)->(0,0,0) and is used to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate the limit as (x,y,z)->0?

To calculate the limit as (x,y,z)->0, you need to evaluate the function at different points that are approaching the origin (0,0,0). This can be done by plugging in values that are closer and closer to the origin, and observing the output of the function. If the output approaches a specific value as the input variables get closer to the origin, then that value is the limit as (x,y,z)->0.

3. What is the significance of the limit as (x,y,z)->0 in mathematics?

The limit as (x,y,z)->0 is an important concept in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point in three-dimensional space. It allows us to analyze the behavior of a function near the origin, which can provide valuable insights into the overall behavior of the function. The concept of limits is also essential in calculus and is used to calculate derivatives and integrals.

4. What are some common misunderstandings about the limit as (x,y,z)->0?

One common misunderstanding about the limit as (x,y,z)->0 is that it represents the value of the function at the origin. However, this is not always the case, as the limit can exist even if the function is undefined at the origin. Another misconception is that the limit is always a real number, but in some cases, it can be infinity or not exist at all.

5. How can the limit as (x,y,z)->0 be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of limits as (x,y,z)->0 has various applications in real-world scenarios, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of a physical system at a particular point, such as the center of mass or the location of a force. In engineering, limits can help determine the stability and safety of a structure by analyzing its behavior near the origin. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth and continuous images and animations.