Limit at infinity that may or may not be e

In summary, the limit as x goes to infinity of (1+1/x^2)^x is 1. This is because (1+1/x^2) approaches 1 and x approaches infinity, making the limit indeterminate. To evaluate this limit, we can use L'Hopital's rule and take the natural log of both sides to get a form that we can solve. The correct derivative to use is -2/x^3 instead of -x^(-2). The final answer is 1.
Marylander

Homework Statement

Compute lim as x goes to infinity of (1+1/x^2)^x

Homework Equations

I know that lim at infinity (1+1/x)^x=e

I do not know if that is still valid with the x^2 there. I don't really think it is, but it's throwing me off.

The Attempt at a Solution

Beyond the above bit of knowledge, 1/x^2 goes to 0, leaving me with 1 to a power. So the limit should be 1, I believe, but I want to make absolutely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marylander said:

Homework Statement

Compute lim as x goes to infinity of (1+1/x^2)^x

Homework Equations

I know that lim at infinity (1+1/x)^x=e

I do not know if that is still valid with the x^2 there. I don't really think it is, but it's throwing me off.

The Attempt at a Solution

Beyond the above bit of knowledge, 1/x^2 goes to 0, leaving me with 1 to a power. So the limit should be 1, I believe, but I want to make absolutely sure.
[tex][1^{\infty}][/tex] is one of several indeterminate forms. The way to evaluate lim (1 + 1/x)^x is by letting y = (1 + 1/x)^x, and then taking the natural log of both sides and getting to something that you can use L'Hopital's Rule on. Do the same thing with your limit.

1^infinity is indeterminate? How? 1 is always 1, isn't it?

EDIT: And sorry, the limit I'm trying to do isn't (1+1/x)^x, it's (1+1/x^2)^x. Is it the same process?

EDIT2: Okay... so lim (1+1/x^2)^x is also e? Or at least that's what I got, anyway.

Last edited:
Marylander said:
1^infinity is indeterminate?
Yes.
Marylander said:
How?
If you mean Why? the reason is that a limit expression in which the base is approaching 1 but the exponent is becoming infinitely large can turn out to be anything.
Marylander said:
1 is always 1, isn't it?
Well 1 is always 1, that's true, and 1n = 1 provided that n is a finite number.
Marylander said:
EDIT: And sorry, the limit I'm trying to do isn't (1+1/x)^x, it's (1+1/x^2)^x. Is it the same process?
Yes.

Very impressive monosyllables there. :smile:

And thanks for the help. I see how to deal with this. Which is good, because it's just about inevitable that I'll have to for my final.

If this board let me rep you or something I would, but you're just have to make do with the much-sought-after textual thanks.

Marylander said:
1^infinity is indeterminate? How? 1 is always 1, isn't it?

EDIT2: Okay... so lim (1+1/x^2)^x is also e? Or at least that's what I got, anyway.

Be careful. The process for finding lim (1+1/x^2)^x is the same as (1+1/x)^x, but the answer isn't the same. It's not 'e'. Can you show how you got that?

Great...

Sure:

elim(x(ln(1+1/x2))

lim xln(1+1/x2)=lim ln(1+1/x2)/(1/x)

L'Hopital:

Lim 1/(1+1/x2)*(-x-2)/-x-2

Lim 1/(1+1/2)=1

e1

EDIT: Ah. There's where I messed up. It should be...

Edit2: elim 2/(x(1+1/x2)

That limit is 0, so it's e0=1, which was my original answer.

Last edited:
Marylander said:
Great...

Sure:

elim(x(ln(1+1/x2))

lim xln(1+1/x2)=lim ln(1+1/x2)/(1/x)

L'Hopital:

Lim 1/(1+1/x2)*(-x-2)/-x-2

Lim 1/(1+1/2)=1

e1

That's the right idea, but the derivative of 1/x^2 is -2/x^3. Not -x^(-2).

Yeah, I caught that after I submitted it. Absent-minded simple messups.

The edits have my corrected answer. The limit is 1, correct?

Marylander said:
Yeah, I caught that after I submitted it. Absent-minded simple messups.

The edits have my corrected answer. The limit is 1, correct?

Correct.

Thanks again for all the help.

Related to Limit at infinity that may or may not be e

What is a limit at infinity?

A limit at infinity is a concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches infinity. It is used to determine the value of a function as the input gets larger and larger, without having to evaluate the function at infinity itself.

How is a limit at infinity different from a regular limit?

A regular limit looks at the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific number, whereas a limit at infinity looks at the behavior as the input approaches infinity. In other words, a limit at infinity looks at the "end behavior" of a function.

What is the significance of the number e in a limit at infinity?

The number e is a mathematical constant that represents the base of the natural logarithm. It often appears in limits at infinity involving exponential and logarithmic functions, which are commonly used to model growth and decay in science and engineering.

How do you evaluate a limit at infinity?

To evaluate a limit at infinity, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, L'Hopital's rule, or graphing to simplify the function and determine its end behavior. The limit may also be undefined or infinite, in which case additional methods may be needed to evaluate it.

Are there any real-world applications of limits at infinity?

Yes, limits at infinity have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze the behavior of objects in motion, model population growth and decay, and predict the behavior of electrical circuits.