Understanding Limit Denominator Help for \sqrt{x} / CSC x: Approach to PIE

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: It's possible that you made a mistake in your calculation. It's also possible that you're just really bad at math. I'm not sure what to tell you.
2slowtogofast

Homework Statement

Lim [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] / CSC x
x apporoaches PIE

The Attempt at a Solution

heres is what i did I am not sure if its right.

let pie = 180 and csc = 1/sin

the [tex]\sqrt{180}[/tex] / 1 / sin 180

sin of 180 = 0 so that can't be in the denominator

[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] * sin 180 / 1

is 0/ 1 = 0

correct or no? i think it is but i also feel like a made a mistake somehwere.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, why do you feel like you made a mistake?

There are a few things that If i was in a bad mood, I was would were extremely incorrect, but right now to me they are funny =] It pi, not PIE lol. And you can't just say, let pi = whatever you want >.<" But remember Cosec is in the denominator! So when you replace is with 1/sin, the whole thing doesn't have a denominator anymore =]

what would PI equal then

Well pi is equal to pi, approximately 3.1415926535. I know what you were trying to do, change back pi radians into 180 degrees. That works just fine for the sin, no problems there mate. But you can't square root 180 degrees easily can you?

good point having the sqrt of 180 deg makes no sense.

puting in 3.141... doest make sense to me either. could you giving me a nudge in the right direction and i will see what i can do from there

Ok well there's a special thing about measuring angles in radians instead of degrees. Radians do not have any units, because its really a RATIO. It's a ratio of lengths in a circle, so if we measure with any units, say meters, it becomes a ratio of something meters to something else meters, the units cancel each other out in a sense.

Just remember that in any calculus or limits or the like, radians will be assume and degrees will become a thing of the past. So its quite easy to square root pi, and its also quite easy to find sin pi, or if you like to think of it this way, sin 180 degrees.

i got the answer 0 again

What is the purpose of Understanding Limit Denominator Help for \sqrt{x} / CSC x: Approach to PIE?

The purpose of this topic is to provide a method for solving limit problems involving the square root function and the cosecant function, by using the approach of PIE (Product-to-Sum Identity Expansion). This method can help simplify and evaluate complex limit expressions that involve these functions.

What is the Product-to-Sum Identity Expansion method?

The Product-to-Sum Identity Expansion method is a trigonometric identity that allows us to rewrite a product of trigonometric functions as a sum of trigonometric functions. This can be useful in solving limit problems involving trigonometric functions, such as the square root and cosecant functions.

How do you apply the PIE method to solve limit problems involving \sqrt{x} / CSC x?

To apply the PIE method, we first use the identity \sin x \cos x = \frac{1}{2} \sin 2x to rewrite the expression as \frac{\sqrt{x}}{2} \frac{1}{\sin x} \sin 2x. Then, we use the identity \sin x = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos(nx)}{n} to expand the \sin 2x term. Finally, we use the limit properties to evaluate the limit as x approaches 0.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the PIE method for solving limits?

One common mistake is to use the identity \sin x = \frac{1}{2} \sin 2x instead of \sin x = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos(nx)}{n}. Another mistake is to forget to use the limit properties to evaluate the limit after expanding the trigonometric functions using the PIE method. It is important to carefully follow the steps and use the correct identities to avoid errors.

Can the PIE method be applied to other types of limit problems?

Yes, the PIE method can be applied to other types of limit problems involving trigonometric functions, such as limits involving the tangent, cotangent, and secant functions. It can also be used to solve limits involving other types of functions, as long as they can be rewritten in terms of trigonometric functions using appropriate identities.