1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of (1 - cosh(2x)) / 4x^3 + x^2

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(2x)}{{4x^3 + x^2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Product, sum, quotient laws

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(2x)}{{4x^3 + x^2}} =
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}}
    =
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{4 + 0 + 0}}
    =
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{1 - cosh(\lim 2x)}{{4}}
    =
    \frac{1 - cosh(0)}{{4}}
    = \frac{1 - 1}{{4}}
    = 0
    [/tex]

However the answer is supposed to be 2.

I was sure the denominator should be 4, but not sure how to get 8 in the numerator :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Okay well, You seem to have changed that 4x^3 to 4 + x^3, which is how you got your zero denominator to be 4.

Firstly, do you know [tex] \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \sinh x}{x} [/tex] ? That is a good thing to know and is easy to find.

Also, can you express [tex]\cosh 2x[/tex] in terms of sinh^2 x ? That will help.

4. May 25, 2009 #3
    sinh(0) = 0 so use LHopitals rule :
    [tex] \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \sinh x}{x} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ \cosh x}{1} = \frac{cosh 0}{1} = \frac{1}{1} = 1 [/tex]

I don't know what you mean, sorry.

5. May 25, 2009 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ok well, have you seen the identity

[tex]\cosh 2x = 2\sinh^2 x +1[/tex]
    ?

6. May 25, 2009 #5
    I tried subbing x = 0 into the above in the original equation and get:

[tex]\frac{1 - 2e^2 + 4 - \frac{2}{e^2}}{16x^3 + 4x^2}[/tex]

Now should I divide each term by [tex]x^3[/tex]?

Can someone please show me the method? I am getting confused now.

7. May 25, 2009 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Directly substitute that identity into your limit, and apply the other limit you worked out.

8. May 25, 2009 #7
    You mean into this? [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim cosh(2x)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}}[/tex]

so, [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } \frac{\lim 1 - \lim 2 + \lim sinh^2(x+1)}{{\lim 4 + \lim x^3 + \lim x^2}} = \frac{1 - 2 + \lim sinh^2(x+1)}{4} [/tex]

I can't get that to equal 2.

9. May 25, 2009 #8
    Hey dude apply l-hospital rule when there is 0/0 form after putting x=0 in the original equation , now differentiate the equation not in u/v form differentiate upper equation and lower equation differently until u got the equation not in the form 0/0 after putting the value

10. May 25, 2009 #9
    First use L'Hopital's rule with the original problem and keep using it until you're done. You probably want to use an identity to make differentiation a little easier after one step.

11. May 25, 2009 #10
    Best answer I can get is 1/2 or -1/2.

Anyway test on this starts in 45 minutes so just hope this question doesn't come up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook