Limit of differentiable functions question

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a limit involving two differentiable functions, f(x) and g(x), both approaching 0. The use of the fact that both functions are continuous at 0 and that cos(x) is continuous everywhere helps in applying L'Hopital's rule twice to solve the limit, which ultimately results in the value of -2. The conversation also briefly mentions the importance of knowing the values of f'(0) and g'(0), which could affect the convergence of the limit.
transgalactic
f(x) and g(x) are differentiable on 0
f(0)=g(0)=0
[tex]
\lim _{x->0}\frac{cos(f(x))-cos(g(x))}{x^2}=\lim _{x->0}\frac{-2sin(\frac{f(x)+g(x)}{2})sin(\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{2})}{x^2}=-2
[/tex]

because i can use (sin x)/x=1 here
is it ok??

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't have "sin(x)/x", you have
[tex]\frac{sin(\frac{f(x)+ g(x)}{2})}{x^2}[/itex]

whether this converges at all depends on how fast f(x) and g(x) converge to 0.

i can split x^2 into xx
and i have two sinuses ,one for each x
so i do have it
the only thing that bothers me is
its sin x/x
the stuff inside sinus doesn't equal x
??
but they both go to zero
??

Well, it looks rather simple to me, but i might be totally wrong as well. Anyhow, i hope u won't kill me for this :yuck:

I can use the fact that both f(x) and g(x) are differentiable at 0...this means that they both are continuous at 0 as well. THis is good to know.

NOw i will alsu use the fact that cos(x) is continuous everywhere.this is good to know too.

Now:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{cosf(x)-cosg(x)}{x^2}[/tex]

Applying what i just said above, we see that we get a limit of the form 0/0.

So, applying l'hopitals rule twice, will take you home safe.

Edit: DO you know anything about f'(0) and g'(0)??

nope

you are correct

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus refers to the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation "lim f(x) as x approaches a".

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a point?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the left and right limits of the function at that point must be equal to each other and to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches from one direction (either the left or the right) while a two-sided limit takes into account the behavior from both directions. In order for a two-sided limit to exist, the one-sided limits must be equal to each other.

4. Can a limit exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This can happen when the one-sided limits approach the same value, even if the function is not defined at that point. However, it is important to check the behavior of the function at that point to determine if the limit truly exists.

5. How is the limit of a differentiable function related to its derivative?

The limit of a differentiable function at a point can be found by evaluating the derivative of the function at that point. This is because the derivative of a function represents the slope of the tangent line at that point, and the limit of a function represents the slope of the secant line as the two points get closer together.