Limit of Summation and Integral Solution Verification

In summary, the conversation discusses the correction of a solution for a limit problem involving a sum and an integral. The correct solution involves changing the bounds of integration from 0 and 1 to 1 and 3, respectively. The conversation also touches on the reason for this change and the aesthetic aspect of the final answer.
azatkgz
Can someone check this solution.

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum^{n}_{i=1}\sqrt{\frac{1}{n^2}+\frac{2i}{n^3}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum^{n}_{i=1}\sqrt{1+\frac{2i}{n}}=\int^{1}_{0}\sqrt{1+2x}dx[/tex]
for u=1+2x->du=2dx
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{\sqrt{u}du}{2}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct.

My prof.says that I forgot to change something,while changing variables.

O perhaps the bounds on the integral? Sorry I am having a bad day..

yes, I think problem is on Integral.

I am sure of it now, you forgot the change the bounds. New limits of integration should be 3 and 1.

and the answer is
[tex]\int^{3}_{1}\sqrt{1+2x}dx=\frac{3^{\frac{3}{2}}-1}{3}[/tex]
yes?

Correct, though it may look more pretty as [tex]\frac{3\sqrt{3}-1}{3}[/tex] lol.

Can you explain, please,why we must choose 3 and 1.

O simple. What the limits on the original integral mean are 'sum for values of x between 1 and 0'. You made the substitution u= 2x+1. So when the original integral says sum for x between 1 and 0, the new integral, where u is the new variable, must say 'sum for x between 1 and 0, and since u=2x+1, sum for u between 3 and 1'.

ok,thanks

Related to Limit of Summation and Integral Solution Verification

1. What is the definition of summation and integral?

Summation and integral are mathematical operations used to find the total value of a set of numbers or the area under a curve, respectively. Summation is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and is used to add a series of numbers together. Integral is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the area between a curve and the x-axis.

2. What are the differences between summation and integral?

The main difference between summation and integral is their respective uses. Summation is used to add a set of numbers together, while integral is used to find the area under a curve. Additionally, summation is a discrete operation, meaning it is used for individual values, while integral is a continuous operation, used for a range of values. Summation is represented by the symbol ∑, while integral is represented by ∫.

3. What are the applications of summation and integral in science?

Summation and integral have various applications in science. In physics, integral is used to find the work done by a varying force, while summation is used to calculate the total energy of a system. In chemistry, integral is used to determine the concentration of a substance, while summation is used to calculate the total number of atoms in a molecule. In biology, integral is used to find the rate of change of a population, while summation is used to calculate the total number of organisms in a given environment.

4. Can summation and integral be used interchangeably?

No, summation and integral cannot be used interchangeably. While both operations involve adding values together, they have different uses and representations. Additionally, summation is a discrete operation, while integral is a continuous operation. Attempting to use one in place of the other would result in incorrect calculations and conclusions.

5. What are some common techniques used to solve summation and integral problems?

Some common techniques used to solve summation and integral problems include the use of formulas, such as the summation and integral rules, and the application of mathematical concepts, such as the properties of series and functions. In addition, the use of technology, such as graphing calculators and computer software, can also aid in solving complex summation and integral problems.