Limit Points & Closure in a Topological Space .... Singh, Theorem 1.3.7

In summary, Peter is trying to understand Tej Bahadur Singh's proof of Theorem 1.3.7 and is asking for help from other members of the community. Singh's proof relies only on the definitions and results he has established to date, which Peter has listed. Theorem 1.3.7 states that if ##A\cup A'## is closed, then ##\overline{A} \subseteq A\cup A'##. Peter is asking why this implication is made, and Infrared is able to help explain that it is because every element of ##X\setminus Z## has an open neighbourhood disjoint from ##Z##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I am reading Tej Bahadur Singh: Elements of Topology, CRC Press, 2013 and am focused on the notions of limit points and closure in a topological space ... and I need help with understanding Singh's proof of Theorem 1.3.7 ...
I am reading Tej Bahadur Singh: Elements of Topology, CRC Press, 2013 ... ... and am currently focused on Chapter 1, Section 1.2: Topological Spaces ...

I need help in order to fully understand Singh's proof of Theorem 1.3.7 ... (using only the definitions and results Singh has established to date ... see below ... )

Theorem 1.3.7 reads as follows:
Singh - 1 - Theorem 1.3.7 ... PART 1 ... .png

Singh - 2 - Theorem 1.3.7 ... PART 2 ... .png

In the above proof by Singh we read the following:

" ... ... So ##U## is contained in the complement of ##A \cup A'##, and hence ##A \cup A'## is closed. It follows that ##\overline{A} \subseteq A \cup A'## ... ... "My question is as follows:

Why does ##U## being contained in the complement of ##A \cup A'## imply that ##A \cup A'## is closed ... and further why then does it follow that ##\overline{A} \subseteq A \cup A'## ... ... Help will be appreciated ...

Peter==========================================================================================It is important that any proof of the above remarks only rely on the definitions and results Singh has established to date ... namely Definition 1.3.3, Proposition 1.3.4, Theorem 1.3.5 and Definition 1.3.6 ... which read as follows ... :
Singh - 1 - Defn 1.3.3, Propn 1.3.4, Theorem 1.3.5, Defn 1.3.6 ... PART 1 ... .png

Singh - 2 - Defn 1.3.3, Propn 1.3.4, Theorem 1.3.5, Defn 1.3.6 ... PART 2 ... .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##Z=A\cup A'.## Showing that every element of ##X\setminus Z## has an open neighborhood disjoint from ##Z## means that ##X\setminus Z## is open, that is, ##Z## is closed.

For your second question, we know ##A\subseteq A\cup A'##. Taking closures of both sides gives ##\overline{A}\subseteq \overline{A\cup A'}=A\cup A.'## I am using the fact that if ##B\subseteq C,## then ##\overline{B}\subseteq\overline{C}.##

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Infrared said:
Let ##Z=A\cup A'.## Showing that every element of ##X\setminus Z## has an open neighborhood disjoint from ##Z## means that ##X\setminus Z## is open, that is, ##Z## is closed.

For your second question, we know ##A\subseteq A\cup A'##. Taking closures of both sides gives ##\overline{A}\subseteq \overline{A\cup A'}=A\cup A.'## I am using the fact that if ##B\subseteq C,## then ##\overline{B}\subseteq\overline{C}.##
Thanks for the help Infrared ... but can you help further ...

In showing ##Z=A\cup A'## is closed you write ... "Showing that every element of ##X\setminus Z## has an open neighborhood disjoint from ##Z## means that ##X\setminus Z## is open, that is, ##Z## is closed."

Can you explain homework this follows from the definitions and results Singh has established to date (which are Definition 1.3.3, Proposition 1.3.4, Theorem 1.3.5 and Definition 1.3.6 details of which are shown in my post ... note that the only relevant definitions and results Singh has established up to this point are the definition of a topology ... and hence an open set ... and the definition of a neighbourhood ... )

Hope you can help further ...

Peter

The argument you quoted shows that for every ##x\in X\setminus Z##, there is an open set ##U_x\subset X\setminus Z## that contains ##x##. So we can write ##X\setminus Z=\bigcup_{x\in X\setminus Z} U_x.## This is a union of open sets, so ##X\setminus Z## is open. This means ##Z## is closed.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Infrared ...

Really appreciate your help...

Peter

1. What is a limit point in a topological space?

A limit point in a topological space is a point where every open set containing it also contains infinitely many other points from the space. In other words, a limit point is a point that can be "approached" by other points in the space.

2. How is a limit point different from an isolated point?

An isolated point is a point that is not a limit point, meaning that it is not surrounded by other points in the space. In contrast, a limit point is surrounded by other points and can be approached by them.

3. What is the closure of a set in a topological space?

The closure of a set in a topological space is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in the original set. In other words, it is the set of all limit points and the original points in the set.

4. How is the closure of a set related to its limit points?

The closure of a set contains all of its limit points. This means that the closure is the set of all points that can be "reached" from the original set through a sequence of limit points.

5. What is Theorem 1.3.7 in Singh's work about limit points and closure?

Theorem 1.3.7 in Singh's work states that the closure of a set A in a topological space is equal to the union of A and all of its limit points. In other words, the closure is the set of all points that can be reached from A through a sequence of limit points.