Solving a Long Limit Problem: Finding the Limit of e^x/x^n

• Thread starter caelestis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a long limit problem and the person is seeking help on how to solve it. They mention an inequality that may be useful and someone suggests using power series. The person is not familiar with power series and asks for another approach. Another hint is given to prove that another limit is equal to infinity.
caelestis
Hello,

I've been given a long limit problem to solve and i got stuck on this part in the question. Could someone please give me hints or suggestions on where to go next?

Given that [tex]\frac{e^{x}}{x^{n}}[/tex] > e[tex]^{x - n\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Find the [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{x}}{x^{n}}[/tex]

Well i know that [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] e[tex]^{x}[/tex] = [tex]\infty[/tex]

but i think the question would like us to use the inequality above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the inequality helps. Do you know about power series? If so, then can you write down a power series for the function [itex]e^x/x^n[/itex], and take its limit?

Tom Mattson said:
I don't see how the inequality helps. Do you know about power series? If so, then can you write down a power series for the function [itex]e^x/x^n[/itex], and take its limit?

umm... i haven't learned power series... Is there another approach i could take??
i tried l'hospitals rule but my answer didn't help much in this...

Hi caelestis! :smile:

Hint: prove that lim (x - n√x) = ∞. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of solving a long limit problem?

Solving a long limit problem allows us to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. This helps us understand the nature of the function and make predictions about its behavior at that point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function with exponential and polynomial terms?

To find the limit of a function with exponential and polynomial terms, we can use the l'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation techniques such as factoring and canceling out common terms.

3. What is the significance of the exponent and power in a long limit problem?

The exponent and power in a long limit problem represent the growth rate and complexity of the function, respectively. They determine how fast the function approaches the limit and how quickly it changes with respect to the input.

4. Can the limit of a function with exponential and polynomial terms have a finite value?

Yes, the limit of a function with exponential and polynomial terms can have a finite value if the growth rate of the exponential term is greater than the complexity of the polynomial term. In this case, the exponential term dominates and the function approaches a finite value as the input approaches the limit.

5. Are there any specific techniques for solving a long limit problem involving e^x/x^n?

One specific technique for solving a long limit problem involving e^x/x^n is to rewrite the function as a fraction with a common denominator, and then use algebraic manipulation or l'Hopital's rule to simplify the expression. Another technique is to use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the function in a more manageable form.