Limit problem using l'hopital's rule

In summary, the problem was that you needed to do the derivative of the top over the derivative of the bottom right, but in this case you can just use the product rule.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}\frac{x\sqrt{x-1}-2}{x-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

calculate the limit

The Attempt at a Solution

When I apply l'hopital's i have to do derivative of the top over derivative of the bottom right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}\frac{x\sqrt{x-1}-2}{x-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

calculate the limit

The Attempt at a Solution

When I apply l'hopital's i have to do derivative of the top over derivative of the bottom right?
Yes .

You could use L'Hopital but I would consider that "overkill". Instead, rationalize the numerator and factor:

[tex]\frac{x\sqrt{x- 1}- 2}{x- 2}\frac{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}= \frac{x^2(x- 1)- 4}{(x- 2)(x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2)}= \frac{x^3- x^2- 4}{(x- 1)(x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{(x- 2)(x^2+ x+ 2)}{(x- 2)(x\sqrt{x- 1}- 2)}= \frac{x^2+ x+ 2}{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}[/tex]

Now, let x= 2.

(We knew it would factor that way precisely because x= 2 made both numerator and denominator equal to 0.)

Another alternative:

[tex]Let \ x \ =\ y^2 + 1.[/tex]

[tex]As \ \ x\to 2, \ \ y \to 1.[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1} \dfrac{(y^2 + 1)\sqrt{y^2} - 2}{(y^2 + 1) - 2} \ =[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{|y|(y^2 + 1) - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y(y^2 + 1) - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ ** \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y^3 + y - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{(y - 1)(y^2 + y + 2)}{(y - 1)(y + 1)} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y^2 + y + 2}{y + 1}[/tex]

Continue . . .

[tex]** \ Note: \ \ \ As \ \ y \ \ is \ \ positive \ \ near \ \ 1, \ \ |y| = y.[/tex]

I used L'Hopital's rule, and I think it's actually simpler in this case. The derivative of the denominator is 1, the derivative of the constant 2 is 0 so ...

zhandele said:
I used L'Hopital's rule,
and I think it's actually simpler in this case.

The derivative of the denominator is 1, [tex] \ \ \ \ Yes, \ \ so \ \ evidently \ \ you're \ \ done \ \ discussing \ \ the \ \ denominator.[/tex]

the derivative of the constant 2 is 0 [tex] \ \ \ \ No, \ \ if \ \ you \ \ are \ \ now \ \ discussing \ \ the \ \ numerator, [/tex][tex] you \ \ are \ \ to \ \ be \ \ taking \ \ the \ \ derivative \ \ of \ \ \ x\sqrt{x - 1} - 2. [/tex]
[tex] And \ \ that \ \ derivative\ \ is \ \ not \ \ equal \ \ to \ \ zero. [/tex]

so ...

I meant that the derivative of the constant -2 (which appears in the numerator) is 0, so we just have to use the product rule to take the derivative of x*sqrt(x-1). The result,

√(x-1) + (x/2)*((√(x-1))^(-1))

... sorry I don't have practice entering these equations on this system ... but now you can just sub in x = 2 and the limit falls right out.

√(2-1)+(2/2)*((√(2-1)^(-1))

√1 + (1)*(1/√1)= 2

what could be simpler?

I hope I put in the right number of parens.

Last edited:
Yes I solved it guys thanks for the help. By the way the problem stated on solving it using l'hopital's rule

What is L'Hopital's rule and when is it used?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can be used when direct substitution of the limit variable results in an undefined or infinite value.

What is the process for solving a limit problem using L'Hopital's rule?

The process for using L'Hopital's rule involves taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator of the original limit expression, and then evaluating the limit again. This process may need to be repeated multiple times until a non-indeterminate form is obtained.

Are there any restrictions on using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for limits involving real variables and functions. It also cannot be used if the limit is not an indeterminate form or if the limit is approaching ∞ or -∞.

How can I determine if a limit problem requires the use of L'Hopital's rule?

If the limit expression results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, then L'Hopital's rule may be applicable. However, it is important to check if the limit can be simplified or evaluated using other methods before using L'Hopital's rule.

Are there any alternative methods for solving limit problems without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving limit problems, such as direct substitution, factoring, and using limits of basic functions. It is important to evaluate the limit using different methods to ensure the correct solution is obtained.