1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem using l'hopital's rule

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}\frac{x\sqrt{x-1}-2}{x-2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

calculate the limit

3. The attempt at a solution

When I apply l'hopital's i have to do derivative of the top over derivative of the bottom right?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes .

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could use L'Hopital but I would consider that "overkill". Instead, rationalize the numerator and factor:

[tex]\frac{x\sqrt{x- 1}- 2}{x- 2}\frac{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}= \frac{x^2(x- 1)- 4}{(x- 2)(x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2)}= \frac{x^3- x^2- 4}{(x- 1)(x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2)}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{(x- 2)(x^2+ x+ 2)}{(x- 2)(x\sqrt{x- 1}- 2)}= \frac{x^2+ x+ 2}{x\sqrt{x- 1}+ 2}[/tex]

Now, let x= 2.

(We knew it would factor that way precisely because x= 2 made both numerator and denominator equal to 0.)

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    Another alternative:

[tex]Let \ x \ =\ y^2 + 1.[/tex]

[tex]As \ \ x\to 2, \ \ y \to 1.[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1} \dfrac{(y^2 + 1)\sqrt{y^2} - 2}{(y^2 + 1) - 2} \ =[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{|y|(y^2 + 1) - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y(y^2 + 1) - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ ** \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y^3 + y - 2}{y^2 - 1} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{(y - 1)(y^2 + y + 2)}{(y - 1)(y + 1)} \ = \ [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{y \to 1}\dfrac{y^2 + y + 2}{y + 1}[/tex]

Continue . . .

[tex]** \ Note: \ \ \ As \ \ y \ \ is \ \ positive \ \ near \ \ 1, \ \ |y| = y.[/tex]

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5
    I used L'Hopital's rule, and I think it's actually simpler in this case. The derivative of the denominator is 1, the derivative of the constant 2 is 0 so ...

7. Mar 27, 2012 #6

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7
    I meant that the derivative of the constant -2 (which appears in the numerator) is 0, so we just have to use the product rule to take the derivative of x*sqrt(x-1). The result,

√(x-1) + (x/2)*((√(x-1))^(-1))

... sorry I don't have practice entering these equations on this system ... but now you can just sub in x = 2 and the limit falls right out.

√(2-1)+(2/2)*((√(2-1)^(-1))

√1 + (1)*(1/√1)= 2

what could be simpler?

I hope I put in the right number of parens.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. Mar 28, 2012 #8
    Yes I solved it guys thanks for the help. By the way the problem stated on solving it using l'hopital's rule

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook