Limit Proof Confusion: How does sN+2 cancel with sn-1 in this limit proof?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a limit proof and a specific portion of the problem that involves the cancellation of terms. The solution provided shows that the terms cancel when n is equal to N + 3, and this pattern continues for n greater than N. Another way to understand this is by replacing n with N + k and seeing how the terms cancel out.
MstrGnrl
Hello Folks,

I am solving a limit proof that has the following attached solution.

Question: Assume all sn ≠ 0. and that the limit L = lim abs(sn+1/sn) exists. Show that if L<1. the lim sn=0

I Understand the solution except for one part which is also attached..

sn = sN*sN+1/sN*** sn/sn-1

Can someone please explain this portion of the problem? I don't understand how sN+2 cancels with sn-1.. It definitely has something to do with n≥N but how they derived it I am not sure

Thanks

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 429
  • confusion.png
    confusion.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MstrGnrl said:
Can someone please explain this portion of the problem? I don't understand how sN+2 cancels with sn-1.

It only cancels when n = N + 3. When n = N + 4 there is another term in the ... which cancels with the n-1 term, and so on.

Thank you for the response, but I still don't quite understand..

Try writing out the terms for N = 0, n = 3.

MstrGnrl said:
Thank you for the response, but I still don't quite understand..

Another way to look at it for n > N is to think of n = N + k, then
[tex]s_n = s_{N+k} = s_N \cdot \frac{s_{N+1}}{s_N} \cdot \frac{s_{N+2}}{s_{N+1}} \dots \frac{s_{N+k-1}}{s_{N+k-2}} \cdot \frac{s_{N+k}}{s_{N+k-1}}[/tex]

Likes 1 person

1. What is a limit proof?

A limit proof is a mathematical method used to show that a function or sequence approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain value. It is used in calculus to determine the behavior of functions at points where they may not be defined.

2. What causes confusion in limit proofs?

Limit proofs can be confusing because they often involve complex mathematical concepts and notation, and require a deep understanding of calculus. Additionally, there are different types of limits and various techniques for proving them, which can add to the confusion.

3. How can I approach a limit proof?

The best way to approach a limit proof is to first understand the definition of a limit and the various types of limits. Then, familiarize yourself with the different techniques for proving limits, such as the epsilon-delta method, the squeeze theorem, and L'Hôpital's rule. Practice and repetition can also help improve understanding and proficiency in limit proofs.

4. What are some common mistakes in limit proofs?

Some common mistakes in limit proofs include incorrect use of algebraic manipulation, not understanding the definition of a limit, and not correctly applying the chosen proof technique. It is important to carefully follow the steps and make sure each step is logically sound in order to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limit proofs?

To improve your understanding of limit proofs, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, including a solid understanding of derivatives and continuity. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, finding real-world applications of limit proofs can aid in understanding and retention of the material.