Limiting Logarithm: x→0+ log(x-1+√(x^2+1))-logx

• Thread starter tylersmith7690
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Log
In summary: I am going to lock this thread. I have provided you with the correct answer. If you want to continue to work on the problem, please start a new thread. It will be more efficient for you. Don't be afraid to go into the math section and ask people what they think.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

limx→0+ log( x - 1 +[itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex])-logx)

Note that log is the same as loge same as ln. Couldn't find the three parallel lines symbol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start with this one. Should I use the limit laws and bring the limit into the brackets to give

log( limx→0+ (x) - limx→0+ 1 + √(lim x→0+x^2+1) -limx→0+ log x

I see that this so far is most likely wrong any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tylersmith7690 said:
I assume you mean limx→0+ log( x - 1 +[itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex])-log(x) (i.e. the logs are not nested).
What seems natural when faced with log(a) - log(b)?
What can you do with [itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex] for small x?

Would i make the original equationin into

limx→0+ log ((x-1+[itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex])/x))

= limx→0+ log( 1 - [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}[/itex])

And then can i say that because log is continuous when x>0, that i can then put
log(limx→0+ 1 - limx→0+[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + lim x→0+ [itex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}[/itex])

Im not sure if that's right so far, I see the inside bracket becoming ∞.
Which means limit does not exist.

Last edited:
tylersmith7690 said:
Would i make the original equationin into

limx→0+ log ((x+1+[itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex])/x))

= limx→0+ log( 1 + [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}[/itex])
I wouldn't. I would make it, rather
[tex]\log\left(\frac{x+1+\sqrt{x^2+ 1}}{x}\right)[/tex]
Now, since "logarithm" is a continuous function, it becomes a question of
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{x+1+\sqrt{x^2+ 1}}{x}[/tex]
and since that "becomes "2/0" when x= 0, the limit does not exist. (More specifically, the limit is "infinity" which is just saying it does not exist in a specific way.)

log(limx→0+ 1 + limx→0+[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + lim x→0+ [itex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}[/itex])

Im not sure if that's right so far, I see the inside bracket becoming ∞.
Which means limit does not exist.

tylersmith7690 said:
limx→0+ log ((x+1+[itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex])/x))
Shouldn't that be ... log ((x-1+...?
log(limx→0+ 1 + limx→0+[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] + lim x→0+ [itex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}[/itex])
You can, but doing that too soon will usually lead to indeterminate results, like +∞-∞. You need to get some cancellation done first. Can you write out an approximation for [itex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/itex] that's valid for small x?

tylersmith7690 said:

Homework Statement

Note that log is the same as loge same as ln. Couldn't find the three parallel lines symbol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start with this one. Should I use the limit laws and bring the limit into the brackets to give

log( limx→0+ (x) - limx→0+ 1 + √(lim x→0+x^2+1) -limx→0+ log x

I see that this so far is most likely wrong any tips would be appreciated.

. . . this has run-off into the ditch since early this morning and provides a nice example why it is so important to be utterly perfect in your math notation. Tell you what, no matter what you want to solve, how about we solve instead the perfectly-illustrated problem:

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \log\left(\frac{x-1+\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}\right)[/tex]

Put the limit inside. Justify it later. Looks like the indeterminate form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex]. How about L'Hospital's rule?

Sorry for the headache, my second attempt above at working out had a + instead of a - after the first x in the bracket. It should read (x-1 + ...)/x

Because the function log is continuous.

we get

limx→0+ ([itex]\frac{x-1+\sqrt{}x^2+1}{x}[/itex])

= [itex]\frac{0-1+1}{0}[/itex] which is [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] indeterminate form.

Then use l'hopital rule

limx→0+ (1+ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](x2+1)-1/2 .2x)/1

= limx→0+ [itex]\frac{1+x}{\sqrt{}x^2+1}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{1}{1}[/itex]

tylersmith7690 said:
Sorry for the headache, my second attempt above at working out had a + instead of a - after the first x in the bracket. It should read (x-1 + ...)/x

Because the function log is continuous.

we get

limx→0+ ([itex]\frac{x-1+\sqrt{}x^2+1}{x}[/itex])

= [itex]\frac{0-1+1}{0}[/itex] which is [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] indeterminate form.

Then use l'hopital rule

limx→0+ (1+ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](x2+1)-1/2 .2x)/1

= limx→0+ [itex]\frac{1+x}{\sqrt{}x^2+1}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{1}{1}[/itex]

That's not entirely right you know. You forgot the log:

[tex]\log\left(\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{1+\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}}{1}\right)[/tex]

And also, I am not 100% sure we can apply L'Hospital's rule for a right-handed limit. Is it continuous at zero? Maybe I'm in the ditch too. Also, the best advice I can give you this semester is to learn very good three things:

1. Latex
2. PF
3. Mathematica

I mean we need to get it right so I'll double-check my work in Mathematica. So I did, it's zero. Now, how can I prove that? And how can I write it so well so that there is no ambiguity? Latex. And how can I get excellent practice getting better? Hanging out in PF (follow rules carefully though).

So if I end up with

log(1) = 0,

Would that mean I was right?

or do i have to do some algebra first to solve the stuff inside the bracket?

tylersmith7690 said:
So if I end up with

log(1) = 0,

Would that mean I was right?

or do i have to do some algebra first to solve the stuff inside the bracket?
Yes, that's the right answer, but approximating √(1+x2) for small x using the usual expansion is a bit easier.

would i use the l'hopital rule in my working out? and what is the usual expansion?

tylersmith7690 said:
what is the usual expansion?
Binomial.

Usually the expansion of numerator and denominator in appropriate Taylor series is simpler than using de L'Hospital's rule, which is derived from this Taylor expansions anyway. As an example take what was discussed before (and please use LaTeX to type formulae; it's so much easier to read!):
[tex]\frac{x-1+\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x}=\frac{x-1+1+\mathcal{O}(x^2)}{x}=1+\mathcal{O}(x) \rightarrow 1 \quad \text{for} \quad x \rightarrow 0.[/tex]

What is a limiting logarithm?

A limiting logarithm is a concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a logarithmic function as the input approaches a certain value or limit. In other words, it is the value that a logarithmic function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

What is the limit of the logarithm function x→0+ log(x-1+√(x^2+1))-logx?

The limit of the logarithm function x→0+ log(x-1+√(x^2+1))-logx is equal to 0. This means that as the input (x) approaches 0 from the positive side, the value of the function approaches 0 as well.

Why is the limit of the logarithm function x→0+ log(x-1+√(x^2+1))-logx equal to 0?

The limit of this logarithm function is equal to 0 because as the input (x) approaches 0 from the positive side, the terms inside the log function approach 1, making the entire expression equal to log(1)-log(0). Since log(1) is equal to 0 and log(0) is undefined, the limit becomes 0.

What is the significance of the positive limit in this logarithm function?

The positive limit in this logarithm function indicates that the function approaches a finite value as the input gets closer and closer to 0 from the positive side. This is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

How can limiting logarithms be applied in real-world situations?

Limiting logarithms have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, they can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems as they approach a certain state or limit. In economics, they can be used to model the growth of populations or the decay of resources. In engineering, they can be used to analyze the stability of structures or the properties of electric circuits.