Proving/Disproving Sequence Claims: a Convergent Sequence Example

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a recent assignment about a convergent sequence with a limit L and whether certain statements are true or false. The speaker is struggling to understand and provide counterexamples for the statements. A suggestion is given to use intuition and try to prove or disprove the statements. The relevance of a sequence being bounded and having a limit is also discussed.
kali0712
This is a question on a recent assignment that I can't figure out. I think if I understood the first part, I could get the rest.

Let {a_n} be a convergent sequence with limit L. Prove or provide counter examples for each of the following situations. Suppose that there exists a number N such that:

a) a_n >/= 0 for all n>N; is it true that L >/= 0?

b) a_n > 0 for all n>N; is it true that L>0?

c) a_n > 0 for all n>N; is it true that L </= 0?

I know there should be a counterexample for a) but I just can't wrap my brain around it. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an actual question you're asking or do you just want someone to give you the answers?

Step 1) Use your intuition to guess whether the statements are true or false
Step 2) Try to prove your guesses
Step 3) If you can't prove one of your guesses, try proving the opposite
Step 4) If step 3 fails, go back to step 2.

If a sequence is bounded above or below, then that sequence has a limit and the limit is equal to that bound. Similarly, If a sequence has a limit then the sequence has a bound and the bound is equal to the limit.

I think this is relevant...

Josh

kreil, almost none of that is true. The sequence (1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,...) is bounded above and below but has no limit. And saying "the limit is equal to that bound" doesn't even make sense because a sequence generally has infinitely many bounds, there is just a unique least upper bound or greatest lower bound, if they exist.

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the sequence progresses. This value is called the limit of the sequence.

How do you prove that a sequence is convergent?

To prove that a sequence is convergent, you must show that as the terms in the sequence get larger, they get closer and closer to the limit value. This can be done by using the formal definition of a limit, or by using other methods such as the squeeze theorem or the monotone convergence theorem.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a specific value (limit) as the terms in the sequence get larger, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit and the terms in the sequence either get larger and larger or alternate between different values.

Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has more than one limit, it is considered to be divergent.

What is the significance of proving or disproving sequence claims?

Proving or disproving sequence claims is important in mathematics as it allows us to determine the behavior and properties of different sequences. It also helps us to understand the concept of limits and convergence, which are fundamental in many mathematical concepts and applications.