Limit Problem: Solving \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{x^2 - 2x}

• Thread starter gede
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The next step would be to factor the denominator as ##(x-1)(x^2+x+1)## and then use the fact that ##\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1-x}{x-1} = -1## and ##\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{x^2+x+1}{x-1} = 3## to simplify the limit.
gede
I have a limit problem. This is the problem:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{x^2 - 2x}[/tex]

The solution is
[tex]= \lim_{x - 2 \to 0} \frac{\tan [(2 - \sqrt{2x}) × \frac{2 + \sqrt{2x}}{2 + \sqrt{2x}} ]}{x(x - 2)}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x - 2 \to 0} \frac{\tan [ \frac{-2(x - 2)}{2 + \sqrt{2x}} ] }{x(x - 2)} [/tex]

Let ##p = x - 2##

and ##2 + \sqrt{2x} = 2 + \sqrt{2⋅2} = 2 + \sqrt{4} = 2 + 2 = 4##

Then

[tex]\lim_{x - 2 \to 0} \frac{\tan [ \frac{-2(x - 2)}{2 + \sqrt{2x}} ] }{x(x - 2)} [/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{p \to 0} \frac{\tan [-\frac{1}{2}p]}{2p}[/tex]
[tex]= -\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Is this correct?

[NOTE: moved to this forum by mentor hence no homework template]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The result seems correct, but there are intermediate steps not well justified ...

you can directly write ##\frac{\tan{(2-\sqrt{2x})}}{x^2-2x}=\frac{\tan{(2-\sqrt{2x})}(2-\sqrt{2x})}{(2-\sqrt{2x})(x^2-2x)}##, now ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{\tan(2-\sqrt{2x})}{(2-\sqrt{2x})}=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}=1##, with ##t=2-\sqrt{2x}## ... so what remains is ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{(2-\sqrt{2x})}{x^2-2x}## ...

Ssnow said:
you can directly write ##\frac{\tan{(2-\sqrt{2x})}}{x^2-2x}=\frac{\tan{(2-\sqrt{2x})}(2-\sqrt{2x})}{(2-\sqrt{2x})(x^2-2x)}##, now ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{\tan(2-\sqrt{2x})}{(2-\sqrt{2x})}=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}=1##, with ##t=2-\sqrt{2x}## ... so what remains is ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{(2-\sqrt{2x})}{x^2-2x}## ...

I don't understand. Is ##\lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{2 - \sqrt{2x}} = 1##?

yes

@Ssnow ... the answer is -1/4. Check your calculations again.

@gede... the answer you have received is correct. Instead of doing all this, why don't you directly use the L-Hospital's rule?

CrazyNinja said:
@Ssnow ... the answer is -1/4. Check your calculations again.

@gede... the answer you have received is correct. Instead of doing all this, why don't you directly use the L-Hospital's rule?

How exactly this L'Hospital's rule like?

Please show me the work of it.

When in the limit you find indefinite forms as ##\frac{\infty}{\infty},\frac{0}{0}##, you can derive the numerator and the denominator repeating the limit ... for the precise statement see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

you can apply this to the limit ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2-2x}## obtaining the result ...

PS. The method more immediate but you must be familiar with the concept of derivation.

Likes CrazyNinja
@Ssnow you mean differentiation, not derivation right?

Isn't ##\lim \frac{\tan t}{t} = 1## only valid if ##t \to 0##?

So, why does ##\lim_{t \to 2} \frac{\tan t}{t} = 1##?

Hi, I didn't write ##\lim_{t\rightarrow 2}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}=1##, I wrote ##\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}=1##. In fact let us ##t=2-\sqrt{2x}## then when ##x\rightarrow 2## we have that in the new variable ## t\rightarrow 0##... (if you change variable in the limit also the interested point change but the limit remain the same ...)

In example 6 and 7 pag 106, limits are calculated with substitution methods

Ssnow said:
In example 6 and 7 pag 106, limits are calculated with substitution methods

I'm still confuse. How do you get ##-\frac{1}{4}## ?

Ok, I show you the complete resolution that doesn't involve differentiation, we start with

we multiply and divide by the factor ## 2-\sqrt{2x}## so will be:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{2-\sqrt{2x}}\frac{2-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2 - 2x}[/tex]

now the limit of a product is the product of limits.
We examine the first limit ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{2-\sqrt{2x}}## doing the substitution ##t=2 - \sqrt{2x}##. In this case as ##x\rightarrow 2## we have ##t\rightarrow 0## and the limit is:

##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{2-\sqrt{2x}}=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}=1##

So the first limit is ##1##. Now we shall examine the second ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2 - 2x}##. We start adding and subtracting ##x##, so

##\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2 - 2x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-x+x-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2 - 2x}=##

splitting the ratio, we have:

##=\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-x}{x^2 - 2x}+\frac{x-\sqrt{2x}}{x^2 - 2x}=##

we simplify and rewrite ##x^2 - 2x=(x-\sqrt{2x})(x+\sqrt{2x})## (we used ##A^2-B^2=(A-B)(A+B)##), so

##=\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{2-x}{x(x-2)}+\frac{x-\sqrt{2x}}{(x-\sqrt{2x})(x+\sqrt{2x})}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{-1}{x}+\frac{1}{(x+\sqrt{2x})}=-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}=-\frac{1}{4}##

Now ## 1\cdot \left(-\frac{1}{4}\right)=-\frac{1}{4}## and the total limit is ##\frac{-1}{4}##.

Can you show me from inside above calculus textbook about ##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\tan x}{x} = 1##?

Is ##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x}{x} = 1##?

ok, in your book is proved that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin{x}}{x}=1##, for the limit above we observe that:

##\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan{x}}{x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin{x}}{x\cos{x}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\cos{x}}=1\cdot 1=1##

(the second is not true ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\cos{x}}{x}## does not exists...)

Likes CrazyNinja
@gede e I suggest you go through the basics of limits before attempting the question again. Feel free to ask any doubts. You can PM me or Ssnow.

CrazyNinja said:
@gede I suggest you go through the basics of limits before attempting the question again.
Sounds like a good idea.

Likes CrazyNinja
How do you solve this limit problem?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\tan (1 - x)}{x^3 - 1}[/tex]

My solution is:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\tan (1 - x)}{x^3 - 1}\frac{1 - x}{1 - x}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1 - x}{x^3 - 1}[/tex]

What is the next solution?

gede said:
How do you solve this limit problem?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\tan (1 - x)}{x^3 - 1}[/tex]

My solution is:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\tan (1 - x)}{x^3 - 1}\frac{1 - x}{1 - x}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1 - x}{x^3 - 1}[/tex]

Do you know how to factor ##a³-b³##?

Samy_A said:
Do you know how to factor ##a³-b³##?

No. Please tell me. Is factoring ##a^3 - b^3## studied in algebra book?

gede said:
No. Please tell me. Is factoring ##a^3 - b^3## studied in algebra book?
It should be:
##a³-b³=(a-b)(a²+ab+b²)##

The limit ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\tan{(1-x)}}{1-x}=1## is correct, for the other ##\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1-x}{x^3-1}## you must follow the advice of @Samy_A that involves the cubic difference ##a^{3}-b^{3}=(a-b)(a^{2}+ab+b^{2})##

How to solve this limit?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7)}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{7}}[/tex]

This is what I get:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7)}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{7}} \frac{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7}}{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7}}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7) (\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7})}{(x - 7)}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x}(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7})[/tex]

All it is correct but not necessary, I suggest you to put ##x=0## in the original limit, there are indefinite forms as ##\frac{0}{0},\frac{\infty}{\infty}, 0\cdot \infty, \infty-\infty## or not ?

I suggest you the same limit with ##x\rightarrow 7## instead ##x\rightarrow 0##

I don't understand.

ok, the first thing to do in order to determine ##\lim_ {x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{x}(x-7)}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{7}}## is to substitute the value ##0## in the espression ##\frac{\sqrt{x}(x-7)}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{7}}## and see what happen ...

##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x}(x - 7)}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{7}}##
##=\frac{\sqrt{0}(0 - 7)}{\sqrt{0} - \sqrt{7}}##
##=\frac{0 (- 7)}{- \sqrt{7}}##
##= 0##

Then what?

Then the limit is ##0##

Ssnow said:
All it is correct but not necessary, I suggest you to put ##x=0## in the original limit, there are indefinite forms as ##\frac{0}{0},\frac{\infty}{\infty}, 0\cdot \infty, \infty-\infty## or not ?
In English these are called indeterminate forms.

gede said:
How to solve this limit?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7)}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{7}}[/tex]

This is what I get:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7)}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{7}} \frac{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7}}{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7}}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{x} (x - 7) (\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7})}{(x - 7)}[/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x}(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{7})[/tex]

The limit on the first line above can be evaluated merely by substituting x = 0. You don't need to any of the work you show on the following lines.

<h2>What is a limit problem?</h2><p>A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the function "approaches" or gets closer to, but may not necessarily reach, as the input gets closer to a specific value.</p><h2>What does the notation \lim_{x \to a} f(x) represent?</h2><p>The notation \lim_{x \to a} f(x) represents the limit of the function f(x) as x approaches the value a. This means that we are interested in the behavior of the function as the input gets closer and closer to the value a.</p><h2>How do you solve a limit problem?</h2><p>To solve a limit problem, you can use various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing. In some cases, you may also need to use special limit theorems or techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule, to evaluate the limit.</p><h2>What is the limit of the given function \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{x^2 - 2x}?</h2><p>The limit of the given function is undefined or does not exist. This is because when x approaches 2, the denominator of the function becomes 0, which is undefined. Therefore, the function does not have a well-defined limit at x = 2.</p><h2>Why is it important to solve limit problems?</h2><p>Solving limit problems is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific value. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function without actually evaluating it at that specific value. In addition, limits are essential in calculus and other areas of mathematics, making it a fundamental concept to understand.</p>

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the function "approaches" or gets closer to, but may not necessarily reach, as the input gets closer to a specific value.

What does the notation \lim_{x \to a} f(x) represent?

The notation \lim_{x \to a} f(x) represents the limit of the function f(x) as x approaches the value a. This means that we are interested in the behavior of the function as the input gets closer and closer to the value a.

How do you solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you can use various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing. In some cases, you may also need to use special limit theorems or techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule, to evaluate the limit.

What is the limit of the given function \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\tan (2 - \sqrt{2x})}{x^2 - 2x}?

The limit of the given function is undefined or does not exist. This is because when x approaches 2, the denominator of the function becomes 0, which is undefined. Therefore, the function does not have a well-defined limit at x = 2.

Why is it important to solve limit problems?

Solving limit problems is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific value. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function without actually evaluating it at that specific value. In addition, limits are essential in calculus and other areas of mathematics, making it a fundamental concept to understand.