Limit similar to differentiation

In summary, the problem involves finding the limit of a differentiable real valued function as h approaches 0. The equations used for this are the definition of derivative and the given function. The attempt at a solution involves using specific functions to find a pattern and using algebra to simplify the equation. The final solution suggests that the limit is f'(x) as h approaches 0.
Diffy

Homework Statement

f a differentiable real valued function

lim h - > 0 of (f(x + ah) - f(x + bh))/h

where a,b real numbers

Homework Equations

definition of derivative

lim h-> 0 of (f(x+h) - f(x))/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I've picked several functions like x^2 and 1/2x

in the first case you get 2xa - 2xb = 2x(a-b)

in the latter you get 1/2a - 1/2b = 1/2(a-b)

This leads me to suspect f'(x)*(a - b) as the solution, I just have no idea what to do to the limit.

I tried working backwards from my solution, but I still am missing something. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if this gets you anywhere.

[tex]
\frac{f(x+ah)-f(x+bh)}{h} = \frac{f(x+ah)-f(x)}{h} + \frac{f(x) - f(x+bh)}{h} = a\left(\frac{f(x+ah)-f(x)}{ah}\right) - b \left(\frac{f(x) - f(x+bh)}{bh}\right)
[/tex]

thanks, that last one since you are multiplying by -b the numerator should be f(x +bh) - f(x)

It is clear that as h -> 0 ah and bh ->0 and therefore those we are left with f'(x)

Thank you so much for your help.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value. It represents the value that a function approaches, but may never reach, as the input values get closer and closer to a specific point.

2. How is a limit similar to differentiation?

A limit and differentiation are closely related concepts in calculus. When taking the limit of a function, we are essentially looking at small changes in the input values and how they affect the output. Similarly, differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point, which is essentially taking the limit of the function as the change in input values approaches 0.

3. What are the key principles to keep in mind when evaluating a limit?

There are a few key principles to keep in mind when evaluating a limit. First, the value of the function at the point where the limit is being taken does not matter. Only the behavior of the function as the input values approach that point is important. Additionally, the left and right limits must be equal for the overall limit to exist. Lastly, the limit of a sum or difference of functions is equal to the sum or difference of their individual limits.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits?

One common technique for evaluating limits is algebraic manipulation, where we can use properties of limits to simplify the function and then evaluate the limit. Another technique is graphing, which can help us visualize the behavior of the function and determine the limit. We can also use substitution, where we plug in values that are close to the point where the limit is being taken to see if there is a pattern or trend.

5. Why are limits important in calculus and other areas of science?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to describe the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point. They also help us understand the rate of change of a function and can be used to find maximum and minimum values. In other areas of science, limits are used to describe the behavior of systems as variables approach certain values, and can be used to make predictions and analyze data.