Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit with n tending to infinity

1. Dec 24, 2005 #1
    let,s suppose that we have the limit with n tending to infinity:
    [tex]\frac{f(n)}{g(n)}=1 [/tex] then i suppose that for n tending to infinity we should get:
    [tex]f(n)\rightarrow{g(n)}[/tex] or what is the same the function f(n) diverges as g(n) as an special case:
    [tex]\pi(n)\rightarrow{n/ln(n)} [/tex] where Pi is the prime number counting function in number theory
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is your question? What you;'ve written doesn't make sense.

Are you attempting to ask: if f and g are asymptotic then does f-g tend to zero? Of course not: we can make two functions that are asymptotic diverge absolutely as fast as you want.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  4. Dec 25, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

As I recall, that [itex]\frac{f(n)}{g(n)}=1\mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/itex] speaks of the asymptotic relationship between f and g, namely that [itex]f(n) \sim g(n) [/itex] (ref. Asymptotic Notation).
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    My main question is related with proving (if true) the equality

[tex]\frac{\int_0^{n}dx(x^p)}{1^p+2^p+3^p+............+n^p}\rightarrow{1} [/tex]

as n tends to infinity [tex]n\rightarrow{\infty} [/tex]
  6. Dec 25, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It certainly tends to a constant (for p an integer), as anyone can tell you, since the sum of the first p powers is a poly of degre p+1. Surely you can actually solve it, it's straightforward (especially from someone who has solved the RH amongst other things that snobbish mathematicians wont' acknowledge (you cry wolf and what do you expect?)), at least try simplifying the integral (ie doing it).
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?