Solving Limit x->0 of f(x)/x: A Hint

• Thread starter ttttrigg3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The limit implies that f(x) \rightarrow 0 as x \rightarrow 0, but this is not quite the same thing as saying f(0)=0. For an example that illustrates the difference, say f(x) = \frac{1-\cos(x)}{x}. Then the limit of f(x) as x goes to zero is certainly zero, but f(0) is undefined.The other method that people have tried to point out to you is to replace both x and y with zero in the given definition of f(x+y).f(0+0) = f(0) + f(0) + 0 +
ttttrigg3r
1. Homework Statement
Given: f(x+y)=f(x) + f(y)+x2y+xy2
limit[itex]_{x->0}[/itex][itex]\frac{f(x)}{x}[/itex]=1

Homework Equations

What is f(0)?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is f(0)=0 because as x->0 then f(x)->0. so f(0)=0

That is not my attempt. That is the solution. I am stuck from the beginning and don't know where to start. Can someone give me a hint as to how to start ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ttttrigg3r said:
1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What is f(0)?

That is not my attempt. That is the solution. I am stuck from the beginning and don't know where to start. Can someone give me a hint as to how to start ?

I'm not sure why a limit existing implies the value of the function. Unless I'm missing something, you don't need the limit at all. Look at the first piece of information. Let x = y = 0, so:

f(0+0)=f(0) + f(0)+02*0+0*02, so...

I don't think that would work. what if x=2 and y=-2. and you still don't know what f(x) is and f(y) is.

ttttrigg3r said:
1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What is f(0)?

f(0)=0

can be seen clearly when x,y are set to zero

ok well if 2 people say it is then I will believe that. Thanks.

The original answer you were given is incorrect or, at best, incomplete.

The statement that the only way the limit [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{f(x)}{x} = 1[/tex]can exist is if [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0[/tex]is correct. Why? Because if f(x) didn't approach 0 as x went to 0, the quantity f(x)/x would diverge in the same limit, so the original limit couldn't exist.

However, saying[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0[/tex]is not the same as saying f(0)=0. The limit only tells you what the function is doing near the origin. It says absolutely nothing about what the function actually does at the origin. The function could be discontinuous at x=0 or even undefined, and the limit could still exist.

Now if you can use the given information about f(x) to show it's continuous, then yes, it follows that f(0) = 0 from the limit. A complete solution based on the limit would have to show f(x) is continuous.

Last edited:
So are you saying that the problem lacks the information to find out f(0) and that the answer arrived upon, 0, is only partially complete? Should I even consider the first equation for f(x+y) when trying to find f(0), because there are others saying f(0) means that x and y are also zero.

ttttrigg3r said:
So are you saying that the problem lacks the information to find out f(0) and that the answer arrived upon, 0, is only partially complete? Should I even consider the first equation for f(x+y) when trying to find f(0), because there are others saying f(0) means that x and y are also zero.

The point Vela makes is that the given limit implies that [itex]f(x) \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex], but this is not quite the same thing as saying f(0)=0.

For an example that illustrates the difference, say [itex]f(x) = \frac{1-\cos(x)}{x}[/itex]. Then the limit of f(x) as x goes to zero is certainly zero, but f(0) is undefined.

The other method that people have tried to point out to you is to replace both x and y with zero in the given definition of f(x+y).

f(0+0) = f(0) + f(0) + 0 + 0

which gives : f(0) = 2 f(0)

Subtracting f(0) from both sided gives f(0) = 0.

BTW. Just out of interest, you can use the given data to find the first principles derivative of f(x) and hence establish an explicit function for f. You get,

[tex] f(x) = x + \frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex]

Thank you uart I understand that explanation very well.

Side question. because the denominator is x and x->0 wouldn't that make the equation undefined? In this case how would I approach this problem since there is no factor for me to cancel and f(x) is not a factor with numbers or anything I can use to cancel out x. How would I apply the limit to both top and bottom of the f(x)/x as x->0?

Last edited:
@ uart
I calculated f'(x) using the definition of derivative to be x2+1
integrating to get f(x) would that add a constant C to f(x) or can that be omited?

ttttrigg3r said:
@ uart
I calculated f'(x) using the definition of derivative to be x2+1
integrating to get f(x) would that add a constant C to f(x) or can that be omited?

Yes that's correct. I used the given f(x+y) expression to find lim (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h and do the first principle derivative.

You get f'(x) = 1 + x^2 and hence f(x) = x + 1/3 x^3 + C, however the requirement that lim [f(x)/x] = 0 implies that C=0.

ttttrigg3r said:

I find this function intriguing. I've been mulling this over since it was first posted, and I'm no nearer to understanding what it is I'm looking at.

(I understand the OP's question, and a bit of playing around with algebra soon answers his question.) My question is more fundamental: what does this f(x+y) look like? How can I represent it graphically?

Normally, a function of two variables is written f(x,y). This one takes only one parameter, so I guess that means it is a function of only one variable, e.g., f(w), yet it involves both x and y. Are x and y both independent variables? Is so, why isn't it a function of two variables, then?

Is this something in 3 dimensions, e.g., such that on the z axis we plot f(x+y)?

Maybe it's a recursive function, and y = f(x+y) ??

I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what's going on here.

@Nascent: Think of g(x,y) = sin(x+y). There's nothing confusing about that, is there?

Or think of the definition of the derivative, the limit of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h tends to zero. There's nothing special here about that variable h. The limit of (f(x+y)-f(x))/y as y tends to zero is also f'(x). Once again we have a function of one variable, f(x) but we are evaluating it at the point x+h (or at the point x+y).

D H said:
@Nascent: Think of g(x,y) = sin(x+y). There's nothing confusing about that, is there?

You haven't specified what y is.

I'm perfectly happy with y = g(x,w) = sin(x+w)
where x and w are independent variables.

If the normal convention applies, i.e., y=g(arg1,arg2) then I remain puzzled, because it's
y = g(x,y) = sin(x+y)

So, what precisely is y?

What is x? It isn't specified, either. It is a variable. So is y.

D H said:
Or think of the definition of the derivative, the limit of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h tends to zero. There's nothing special here about that variable h.

On the face of it, I'd expect that h would need to have the same units as x.

The limit of (f(x+y)-f(x))/y as y tends to zero is also f'(x).

I've never thought of it this way, and if y had the same units as x, this may be true. But if y is f(x), then in general it will not have the same dimensions as x, so a difficulty will be trying to add x + y. (x may be metres, and y metres3, for example, if the function is the volume of a sphere of radius x). Perhaps it isn't necessary to actually perform the addition, it might all come out in the wash. This will then hinge on being able to expand f(a+b)=...

NascentOxygen said:
You haven't specified what y is.

I'm perfectly happy with y = g(x,w) = sin(x+w)
where x and w are independent variables.

If the normal convention applies, i.e., y=g(arg1,arg2) then I remain puzzled, because it's
y = g(x,y) = sin(x+y)

So, what precisely is y?
y= sin(x+y) is not a definition, it is a "functional equation".

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input (usually denoted as x) gets closer and closer to a specific value.

How do you solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, and the use of limit laws. It is also helpful to graph the function to visualize the behavior near the limit value.

What is the hint for solving a limit of f(x)/x?

The hint for solving a limit of f(x)/x is to factor out x from the numerator and denominator, if possible. This can make the expression easier to evaluate and can reveal any potential discontinuities in the function.

Can you always use direct substitution to solve a limit?

No, you cannot always use direct substitution to solve a limit. Direct substitution can only be used if the resulting expression does not have a 0 in the denominator or a negative number under an even root.

Why is solving limits important in mathematics and science?

Solving limits is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and helps us make predictions about its behavior. Limits are also used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals, which are essential in many scientific fields.