1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limited function

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Make [itex]f, g : X \subseteq \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] function with [itex]g[/itex] being a limited function and [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = 0[/itex] for [itex]a \in X[/itex]. Prove that [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x)g(x) = 0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

A function [itex]g[/itex] is limited if there's a [itex]M>0[/itex] for which [itex]|g(x)| >= M[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems pretty obvious that the affirmation is true, but I can1t find a proof for that. You can't also assume that g has a limit at x -> a because there's nothing saying that, therefore it's not possible to use a direct proof by limits properties.

I've been trying to do this by definition of limits, but I always get that limit of g when x tends to a has to exist, which is not true.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

do you mean that [itex]|g(x)| \leq M[/itex]?

knowing M couldn't you choose x close enough to a, such that f(x) is much smaller than M?

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. May 3, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The usual terminology for such a function, with lanedance's correction, is bounded, not limited.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook