Limits in the complex vectorspace

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the existence of a limit at a point in the complex plane using the epsilon delta definition. The person is having trouble reaching a conclusion and has been trying to manipulate an expression involving a complex number. They have gotten stuck and are seeking help.
eptheta
Hi,
I am trying to prove that a limit exists at a point using the epsilon delta definition in the complex plane, but I can't seem to reach a conclusion.
Here's what I have been trying to get at:

[itex]\lim_{z\to z_o} z^2+c = {z_o}^2 +c[/itex]

[itex] |z^2+c-{z_o}^2-c|<\epsilon \ whenever\ 0<|z-z_o|<\delta[/itex]

[itex]LH=|z^2-{z_o}^2|=|z-z_o||z+z_o|[/itex]

[itex]=|z-z_o||\overline{z+z_o}|[/itex]

[itex]=|z-z_o||\bar{z}+\bar{z_o}|[/itex]

[itex]=|z\bar{z} +z\bar{z_o} -{z_o}\bar{z} -z_o\bar{z_o}|[/itex]

[itex]=| |z|^2 -|z_o|^2 +2Im(zz_o) |[/itex]

[itex]\leq||z|^2 -|z_o|^2 +2|z||z_o|| \ (because\ Im(z)\leq|z|)[/itex]

But I can't get any further. I did this much thinking I could factor it to the square of delta, but that didn't work out because of the positive 2zzo term.If anyone can help me out here, it would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi eptheta! :smile:
eptheta said:
[itex]LH=|z^2-{z_o}^2|=|z-z_o||z+z_o|[/itex]

stop there … the |z-zo| part is easy,

so all you have to do is ensure that |z+zo| is bounded :wink:

1. What is the definition of a limit in the complex vectorspace?

In the complex vectorspace, a limit is defined as the point towards which a sequence of complex vectors converges. This means that as the elements of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit point, the distance between them and the limit point approaches zero.

2. How is the limit of a complex vector sequence calculated?

The limit of a complex vector sequence is calculated by taking the average of the real and imaginary components of each vector in the sequence. This results in a complex number that represents the limit point of the sequence.

3. What is the importance of limits in the complex vectorspace?

Limits play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex vector sequences and functions. They allow us to determine if a sequence or function is converging or diverging, and they also provide a way to analyze the behavior of functions near a certain point.

4. Can a limit in the complex vectorspace be infinite?

No, a limit in the complex vectorspace cannot be infinite. Since a complex vector is composed of a real and imaginary component, the limit of a sequence of complex vectors can only approach a finite complex number.

5. How are limits in the complex vectorspace related to continuity?

Limits and continuity are closely related concepts in the complex vectorspace. A function is continuous at a point if and only if the limit of the function at that point exists. This means that the function approaches the same value from both the left and right sides of the point.