1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of a Polynomial/Rational Function

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    I understand that the limit as x -> a for a polynomial function, f(x), is equal to f(a) because the function is always continuous.

However, how can I prove this?

I also have to prove this for a rational function, including the fact that the denominator cannot equal to 0.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2
    Ummm, you could try using the definition of a limit maybe:

[tex]\left|f(x)-L\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]0<\left|x-a\right|<\delta[/tex]

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3
    What lemmas do you have available? I.e., do you know how to prove that the sum/product/quotient of two continuous functions is continuous?

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

By the time you get to the definition of "continuous function", you should already know:

1) [tex]lim_{x->a} c= c[/tex] where c is a constant

2) [tex]lim_{x->a} x= a[/tex]

3) If [tex]lim_{x->a}f(x)= L[/tex] and [tex]lim_{x->a}g(x)= M[/tex] then
    [tex]lim_{x->a}f(x)+ g(x)= L + M[/tex]

4) If [tex]lim_{x->a}f(x)= L[/tex] and [tex]lim_{x->a}g(x)= M[/tex] then
    [tex]lim_{x->a}f(x)g(x)= LM[/tex]

Since all polynomials consist of sums of products of x with itself and constants, it should be easy to use those to prove that [tex]lim_{x->a}P(x)= P(a)[/tex] for P(x) any polynomial.

6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    Can you at least give me the first step?

I asked my professor and he also said to use the limit laws, but how can I begin?

Once I know the beginning I think I can figure out the rest on my own.

Thank you.

7. Sep 28, 2005 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Decompose the polynomial into a collection of operations known to preserve continuity.

8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    Thank you. That has helped.

9. Sep 29, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

To show that a rational function is continuous every where except where the denominator is 0, you will need one more limit property:

If [tex]lim_{x->a}f(x)= L[/tex] and [tex]lim_{x->a}g(x)= M[/tex] then [tex]lim_{x->a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \frac{L}{M}[/tex] provided M is not 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook