Proving the Existence of Limits for Functions: A Study Guide

In summary, the conversation involved discussing two problems related to limits and inequalities. The first problem required proving that if the limit of a function exists, then it falls within a given range. The second problem involved proving that the limit of a function equals a given value, using epsilon-delta proofs. The conversation also included the discussion of alternative proofs and the use of epsilon and delta for the second problem. A final proof was provided, using neighborhoods and epsilon values to show that the limit of the function equals the given value.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

Doing some studying for my midterm and came across these problems ...
a)
[itex] f : D \rightarrow R[/itex] with [itex] a \leq f(x) \leq b[/itex] for all c in D\{c}.

Show that if [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)[/itex] exist then [itex] a \leq lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) \leq b[/itex]

b) Same thing except we have [itex] g(x) \leq f(x) \leq h(x)[/itex] and [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow c} g(x) = lim_{x \rightarrow c} h(x) = L [/itex]

I need to show [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)= L[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this as easy as I think or am I supposed to be more rigorous about the proof ?
a)
[tex] a - L \leq lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) -L \leq b - L[/tex]

[tex] a - L \leq 0 \leq b - L[/tex]

Thus,

[tex] a \leq L \leq b [/tex]b) Same "proof" as in part 1.

:(

Will this suffice ?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, I don't really understand your proof.
How do you find [tex]a-L\leq \lim{f(x)}-L\leq b-L[/tex], isn't that what you need to show?

Well the question tells me ...
[tex] a \leq f(x) \leq b[/tex].

I subtracted L from all sides and took the limit of all sides. The question said that L exist.

Ah yes, but wasn't it easier to just take the limit of [tex]a\leq f(x)\leq b[/tex].

And you still need to show that if [tex]a\leq f(x)[/tex] then [tex]a\leq \lim{h(x)}[/tex], i.e. that limits preserve inequalities. I know this is trivial, but hey...

The same reasoning won't work for the second question, since you don't know there that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}{f(x)}[/tex] exists. If it existed, then it would equal L, but you don't know it exists yet... I fear an epsilon-delta is the only thing that can do the trick for question 2...

micromass said:
Ah yes, but wasn't it easier to just take the limit of [tex]a\leq f(x)\leq b[/tex].

And you still need to show that if [tex]a\leq f(x)[/tex] then [tex]a\leq \lim{h(x)}[/tex], i.e. that limits preserve inequalities. I know this is trivial, but hey...

The same reasoning won't work for the second question, since you don't know there that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}{f(x)}[/tex] exists. If it existed, then it would equal L, but you don't know it exists yet... I fear an epsilon-delta is the only thing that can do the trick for question 2...

XD it was late at night. You are right i should have just taken the limit of the inequality right away.

So proof 1 is okay, right ?

For proof two I took limit g(x) - L = limit of h(x) - L = 0

And i got [itex] 0 \leq lim f(x) - L \leq 0[/itex]

Thus,
lim f(x) = L.

But how do you know [tex]\lim{f(x)}-L[/tex] exists? You only know it is between h and g...

True.
I guess I will use my friends epsilon and delta.

I'll do that and get back to you l8tr.

:-)

I have a proof.

Let U be a neighbourhood of c and V be an epsilon neighbourhood of L.

Since when x is in U, g and h are in V and f is between g,h then f must be in V when x is in U.

Thus, lim f(x) = L.

I have a second proof btw.

How's this ?

That seems to be ok :cool:

Alright, thanks a bunch :-).

What is a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function near a particular value. It represents the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that value.

How is a limit of a function defined?

A limit of a function is defined as the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a particular value, regardless of whether the function is actually defined at that value.

What is the purpose of proving the limit of a function?

The purpose of proving the limit of a function is to provide a rigorous and mathematical proof of the behavior of a function near a particular value. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its output for different inputs.

How do you prove the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be proved using various methods, including the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or algebraic manipulation. These methods involve using mathematical logic and reasoning to show that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a given value.

Why are limits of functions important in mathematics?

Limits of functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions, even when they are not defined at a particular point. They are essential in calculus, as they provide a foundation for derivatives and integrals, and are used in many real-world applications, such as modeling and optimization problems.