Limits of trigonometric functions

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the limit of [tan(2+x)^3 - tan8]/x as x approaches 0. Using the equation f'(a)=lim h-->0 f(a+h)-f(a)/h and the derivative of tan(x^3), the solution is 6sec^2(8).
jkeatin

Homework Statement

lim x --->0 [tan(2+x)^3 - tan8]/x

Homework Equations

f'(a)=lim h-->0 f(a+h)-f(a)/h

The Attempt at a Solution

should i differentiate first? am i allowed to do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f(a)=tan8
f(a+h)=tan(x+2)^3
h= x
a+h=2+x=2+h so a= 2
f(a)=f(2)=tan8
f(x)=tanx^3
f(2)=tan2^3=tan8
f'(x)=secx^2 * 3x
f'(2)= sec2^2 * 6= 6sec4

does this all look correct?

What book are you using? Chapter and problem number?

it a problem for a test, i just need to evaluate the limit above, this is what the teacher showed to do for a similar problem

jkeatin said:
it a problem for a test, i just need to evaluate the limit above, this is what the teacher showed to do for a similar problem
Ok then, you can help yourself! You're given a take home exam ... use your book.

First write the problem correctly. Is it
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{tan^3(2+x)- tan(8)}{x}[/tex]
or is it
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 2}\frac{tan((2+x)^3)- tan(8)}{x}[/tex]

If it is the second then it can be interpreted as the derivatve of tan(x3) at x= 2. What is that derivative? (it is NOT sec2(x^2) (3x)[. Use the chain rule.)

the second one is right. but as x goes to 0

sec^2(x^3)(3x)

i think that is right and then i just substitute in 2 right? so its
6sec^2(8)

FAQ: Limits of trigonometric functions

1. What are the limits of trigonometric functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions refer to the values that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. These limits can be different depending on the type of trigonometric function (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) and the specific value it is approaching.

2. How do you calculate the limits of trigonometric functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions can be calculated using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the type of function and the value it is approaching.

3. What are the common properties of limits of trigonometric functions?

The common properties of limits of trigonometric functions include the fact that they are continuous, meaning that the limit at a specific point is equal to the function value at that point. They also exhibit periodic behavior, meaning that the function repeats itself at regular intervals.

4. Can the limits of trigonometric functions be infinite?

Yes, the limits of trigonometric functions can be infinite. This can occur when the function approaches a vertical asymptote, meaning that the function value approaches positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a certain value.

5. Why are the limits of trigonometric functions important?

The limits of trigonometric functions are important in understanding the behavior of these functions and their applications in mathematics and science. They also play a crucial role in calculus, where they are used to calculate derivatives and integrals of trigonometric functions.

Back