Line element and derivation of lagrange equation

In summary, textbooks use the incorrect form of the line element to calculate the covariant derivative.
Alain De Vos
With coordinates q en basis e ,textbooks use as line element :
ds=∑ ei*dqi But ei is a function of place, as one can see in deriving formulas for covariant derivative. Why don't they use as line element the correct:
ds=∑ (ei*dqi+dei*qi)
Same question in deriving covariant derivative,

Physics news on Phys.org
Alain De Vos said:
textbooks use as line element

Can you give an example of a textbook that uses this form of the line element? I see at least two obvious problems with it:

(1) It sums the coordinate differentials, not their squares. For example, in 2-dimensional Cartesian coordinates, the line element should be ##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2##, but your form would give (assuming that you don't really mean "basis" when you say "basis"--see problem #2 below) ##ds = dx + dy##, which is obviously wrong.

(2) The basis is a set of vectors, but the line element is a scalar. Strictly speaking, for Cartesian coordinates, your form of the line element would give ##ds = \hat{e}_x dx + \hat{e}_y dy##, which would make ##ds## a vector, not a scalar.

Likes bcrowell
I was reading a book by John Dirk Walecka, but his notation confused me, I switched to Lambourne.
I have a comparable question in the formula for geodesics.
Why is the formula for geodesics a covariant derivative of a standard derivative (being the tangent)?
Why is it not a covariant derivative of a covariant derivative?
Is it because in the first derivative the connection coefficients are zero ?

Alain De Vos said:
Why is the formula for geodesics a covariant derivative of a standard derivative (being the tangent)?

What do you mean by "standard derivative"? If you mean "partial derivative", a tangent vector is not a partial derivative.

I recommend looking at chapters 2 and 3 of Carroll's lecture notes on GR:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

These chapters discuss the issues you are talking about, and I find them much easier to follow than many textbook treatments of the subject.

Alain De Vos said:
I was reading a book by John Dirk Walecka, but his notation confused me, I switched to Lambourne.
I have a comparable question in the formula for geodesics.
Why is it not a covariant derivative of a covariant derivative?
Is it because in the first derivative the connection coefficients are zero ?

Here's what I'm guessing you're talking about.
  1. You start (or can start) with a parametrized path [itex]\mathcal{P}(s)[/itex], which can be described in a particular coordinate system by 4 functions [itex]x^\mu(s)[/itex].
  2. You take the first derivative of [itex]x^\mu[/itex] to get a 4-velocity, [itex]U^\mu[/itex]
  3. You take the second derivative of [itex]x^\mu[/itex] to get a 4-acceleration, [itex]A^\mu[/itex]
  4. For a geodesic, [itex]A^\mu = 0[/itex]
So, perhaps what you're talking about is the fact that
  • [itex]U^\mu = \frac{d}{ds} x^\mu[/itex]
  • [itex]A^\mu = \frac{d}{ds} U^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda} U^\nu U^\lambda[/itex]
So you're asking why the connection coefficients [itex]\Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda}[/itex] appear in the second equation, but not in the first.

A technical reason, which may not be satisfying to you, is that [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is NOT a vector, it's a collection of 4 scalar functions. You have to use a covariant derivative when you take the derivative of a vector, but not when you take the derivative of a scalar.

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "standard derivative"? If you mean "partial derivative", a tangent vector is not a partial derivative.

I recommend looking at chapters 2 and 3 of Carroll's lecture notes on GR:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

These chapters discuss the issues you are talking about, and I find them much easier to follow than many textbook treatments of the subject.

Here's what I'm guessing he's talking about. If you describe a particle's path by giving its coordinates [itex]x^\mu(s)[/itex] as a function of proper time, [itex]s[/itex], then:
  • The 4-velocity, [itex]U^\mu[/itex] is defined by: [itex]U^\mu = \frac{d}{ds} x^\mu[/itex]
  • The 4-acceleration, or proper acceleration, is defined by [itex]A^\mu = \frac{d}{ds} U^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda} U^\nu U^\lambda[/itex]
So I think he's asking why [itex]\Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda}[/itex] appears in the second equation, but not the first.

Exactly Peter, this was my question, I'm currently reading Schutz, afterwards i'll raid Carroll.

Currently reading Carroll spacetime and geometry page 16 and 17.
Still unclear for me why tangent vector to a curve does not include change of basis-vectors as lambda changes.
I.e. the connection coefficients.
Anyone who can shed a light on this very basic issue ?

Alain De Vos said:
Still unclear for me why tangent vector to a curve does not include change of basis-vectors as lambda changes.
There is no vector basis involved here, just coordinates. The key point here is that there is no such thing as a position vector in a general manifold and I think this is something which has passed you by. By definition, a vector is defined as a directional derivative of a scalar field. A curve, i.e., giving the coordinates as a function of the curve parameter, naturally identifies such a derivative with components ##dx^\mu/ds##, where ##s## is the curve parameter.

PeterDonis said:
I think this reads wrong out of context. A tangent vector is a partial derivative operator (in some coordinate system - a linear combination of them in a general coordinate system).

Alain De Vos said:
Currently reading Carroll spacetime and geometry page 16 and 17.
Anyone who can shed a light on this very basic issue ?

There is a big distinction between a location (described in coordinates as [itex]x^\mu[/itex]) and a tangent vector, and that is that a location is not a vector. It doesn't make any sense to add two locations together. What does it mean to add the location of New York City to the location of Paris? Locations don't transform as vectors. It doesn't make any sense to write a location as a linear combination of basis locations. So throwing in connection coefficients in computing [itex]\frac{dx^\mu}{ds}[/itex] would not really make any sense.

So all points in curved spacetime form a manifold but not a vectorspace.
It is the collection of all tangents to all curves going through a specific point on this manifold which form a vectorspace.
(I must have been thinking 3-D where points and vectors can be interchanged)

The basis in this tangent space is then : e(μ)=∂P/∂xμ

Alain De Vos said:
The basis in this tangent space is then : e(μ)=∂P/∂xμ
No, the basis of the tangent space is ##e_\mu = \partial/\partial x^\mu## (no P). A vector is a directional derivative.

1. What is a line element?

A line element is a differential element used in calculus to measure infinitesimal distances along a curve. It is represented by ds and is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the differentials of the independent variables.

2. How is the line element related to the Lagrange equation?

The line element is used to derive the Lagrange equation, which is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a particle in a conservative system. The line element is used to calculate the kinetic and potential energies of the particle, which are then used in the Lagrange equation to determine the equations of motion.

3. What is the derivation of the Lagrange equation?

The derivation of the Lagrange equation involves using the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the kinetic and potential energies of the particle. By varying the action with respect to the path, we can obtain the equations of motion, which are the Lagrange equations.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange equation?

One of the main advantages of using the Lagrange equation is that it simplifies the equations of motion for a particle in a conservative system, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also allows for the incorporation of constraints in the system, which is not possible using other methods such as Newton's laws.

5. Can the Lagrange equation be extended to systems with more than one particle?

Yes, the Lagrange equation can be extended to systems with multiple particles by using the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system. This allows for the equations of motion for each particle to be derived simultaneously, making it a powerful tool in analyzing the dynamics of complex systems.