Finding a Skew Line in R3 at Distance d

• Thread starter supercali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the equation of a skew line through a given point is given by: x = (x0, y0, z0+d)/(x0+d, y0+d, z0+d)
supercali
hello

Homework Statement

given a line in R3 and a distance d how do i find a line that skew with that line in that distance between them?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to create a plane with the given line but it doesn't seem to work for me. cause too many assumptions have to be made
and the way i did it was really complicated in my opinion and not the right way to go

if you can help

Physics news on Phys.org
in what form is the equation of line given?

basically, find any line perpendicular to the given line(let perpendicular be p and given line be l) and take a point at a distance d from l, on p. Then write the general equation of any line thorough this point..

How easy or tough it is to do this depends on the the form of the given equation...

I think there are infinite solutions.

Draw a cylinder with radius d across the line .
and you will see many lines going in different directions ... and touching the cylinder surface (tangent to the surface .. )_

The crucial point is what rootX said: there are an infinite number of skew lines a given distance from a given line. Since you are asked to find only one of them you can make a number of simplifying assumptions:

1) Choose any point you like on the given line.

2) Find a point the given distance from that point in a convenient direction- for example, you might assume that only z changes; that is, if your point on the line is (x0, y0, z0) choose (x0, y0, z0+ d) where d is the given distance.

3) Make your skew line, through that point, perpendicular to both the given line and the line connecting the two points in (2).

What is a skew line in R3?

A skew line in R3 is a set of two non-parallel lines that do not intersect and exist in a three-dimensional space. These lines are not coplanar, meaning they do not lie in the same plane.

How can I determine if two lines are skew in R3?

To determine if two lines are skew in R3, you can use the vector equation of the lines. If the vectors of the two lines are not parallel, then the lines are skew. Another way is to calculate the angle between the two lines, if the angle is neither 0 nor 180 degrees, then the lines are skew.

What is the distance between two skew lines in R3?

The distance between two skew lines in R3 is the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. This distance can be calculated using the distance formula.

Can the distance between two skew lines in R3 be negative?

No, the distance between two skew lines in R3 cannot be negative. This is because the distance between two points is always a positive value.

Why is it important to find the distance between two skew lines in R3?

Finding the distance between two skew lines in R3 is important in many applications, such as engineering and geometry. It can help determine the closest distance between two objects or the shortest path between two points. It is also useful in visualizing and understanding the relationship between two non-intersecting lines in three-dimensional space.