Solving Line Integral Limits: Negative Result?

In summary, the line integral in the given picture is calculated by setting the field as f(x)=\hat{x} and using integration limits of 1 to 0. However, since the path is pointing left, ds will be -dx\hat{x}, resulting in a negative value for the line integral. This is because the negative sign of dx is already accounted for in ds, so it should not be inserted explicitly. The correct result is -1.
OmegaKV
I want to the line integral in the following picture:

P220f03.png

The field is the blue arrows that go left to right, and the path is the orange line that is going from right to left.

Just by looking at the picture, it is clear that the result will be negative, but when I set up the integration this is what I get:

I'm letting the field be:

[tex]f(x)=\hat{x}[/tex]

and since the path is pointing left, ds will be:

[tex]ds=dx*(-\hat{x})=-dx\hat{x}[/tex]

and the path goes from x=1 to x=0, so the integration limits are from 1 to 0.

so the line integral is:

[tex]\int^b_a f \cdot ds=\int^0_1 (\hat{x} \cdot (-dx\hat{x})) = \int^0_1 (-dx) = 1[/tex]

Why am I getting a positive number?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are double counting the negative sign of dx by both inserting it explicitly and letting the integration go from 1 to 0.

Likes OmegaKV

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a given path. It involves breaking down the path into infinitesimal segments and integrating the function over each segment, then summing up the results to get the total value.

2. How are line integral limits determined?

The limits of a line integral are determined by the start and end points of the path over which the function is being integrated. These points are typically represented by the parameters t=a and t=b, where t is the variable parameter that defines the path and a and b are the start and end points, respectively.

3. Can the result of a line integral be negative?

Yes, the result of a line integral can be negative. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values along the path, or when the path itself has a direction that causes the integrated values to be negative. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the path and the sign of the function when interpreting the result of a line integral.

4. How do you solve line integral limits when the result is negative?

To solve line integral limits when the result is negative, you can follow the same steps as you would for a positive result. However, when evaluating the integral, make sure to take into account the negative sign and include it in the final result. It is also helpful to graph the function and the path to visually understand the direction and magnitude of the negative result.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving line integral limits?

Line integrals have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate work done by a force, electric potential, fluid flow, and other physical quantities. They are also used in fields such as computer graphics and geographic information systems (GIS) to calculate paths and trajectories of objects. Additionally, line integrals are used in optimization problems to find the shortest path between two points or the minimum energy required to move an object along a given path.