Line Integral over Vector Field?

In summary, the conversation is about a vector field and a circle with a radius of r and its parametrization. The goal is to find the integral of the vector field over the circle for any values of the constants a, b, c, and d. The conversation includes discussing the use of line integrals and setting up the problem using the given parametrization.
taylormade
Not exactly a homework problem, a problem from a sample test. I'm boning up for my qualifying exam.

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field:

F = (ax + by)i + (cx + dy)j

where a, b, c, d are constants.

Let C be the circle of radius r centered at the origin and going around the origin one turn in the mathematically positive direction starting from the positive x-axis.

A parameterization for C is x = r cost y = r sint, (z=0), Where 0[tex] \leq [/tex] t [tex] \leq [/tex] 2 [tex] \pi [/tex]

Find the integral [tex] \int_{C}[/tex]F.dR for any values of a, b, c, d (the answer may depend on a, b, c, d)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The rust is killing me. I remember that I need line integrals to solve the problem, but the setup isn't coming out of the fog.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of your parametrization C, dR is (-r*sin(t)dt,r*cos(t)dt). Do you see why? Now express the vector F in terms of t and take the dot product. You'll wind up with two integrals dt to do. Any clearer?

1. What is a line integral over a vector field?

A line integral over a vector field is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total amount of a vector quantity, such as force or displacement, along a given curve or path.

2. What is the purpose of a line integral over a vector field?

The purpose of a line integral over a vector field is to find the work done by a vector field along a given path, or to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed curve or surface.

3. How is a line integral over a vector field calculated?

A line integral over a vector field is calculated by breaking the given curve or path into small segments, approximating the vector field at each segment, and then summing up the dot products of the vector field and the segment lengths.

4. What is the difference between a line integral and a double integral over a vector field?

A line integral calculates the total amount of a vector quantity along a given path, while a double integral calculates the flux of a vector field over a two-dimensional region. Additionally, a line integral only requires one variable to be integrated, while a double integral requires two variables.

5. In what real-world applications is a line integral over a vector field used?

A line integral over a vector field has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the work done by a force on an object moving along a path, finding the circulation of a fluid in a closed loop, and determining the electric or magnetic field along a path.