Linear Actuator -- Why is this not working?

In summary, the user is using a 270lb linear actuator from Princess Auto and a 4th pulley system to lift 40lbs. However, they are finding that the actuator struggles to lift even this weight. After receiving advice from other users, they discovered that the issue was due to the actuator not being able to draw enough current. Switching to a 12V deep cycle battery solved the problem. It is also mentioned that there may be a lot of friction in the pulley system that was not accounted for in the user's calculations.
trickyrick0465
I'm using the actuator that says its good for 270lb
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/12v-dc-12-in-stroke-270-lb-linear-actuator/A-p8507840e
I'm using the 4rth pully system from here
Pulley diagram
I'm using it to lift 40 lbs
So from the diagram I figured that to lift 40 lbs I need an actuator to handle 160 lbs 4 times what I want to really lift
I'm finding that it struggles to even lift 40 lbs
What am I missing

Engineering news on Phys.org
trickyrick0465 said:
I'm using the actuator that says its good for 270lb
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/12v-dc-12-in-stroke-270-lb-linear-actuator/A-p8507840e
I'm using the 4rth pully system from here
Pulley diagram
I'm using it to lift 40 lbs
So from the diagram I figured that to lift 40 lbs I need an actuator to handle 160 lbs 4 times what I want to really lift
I'm finding that it struggles to even lift 40 lbs
What am I missing
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

What are you using for the 12Vdc 5Amp power source? Could it be drooping?

Welcome! :cool:
Can you post a picture of the mechanism?

berkeman
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The actuator couldn't draw enough current. Switched to a 12V deep cycle battery and works now. I've never used an Actuator when it lifts the weight it sounds like its under a lot of stress.
Thanks guys

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
Depending on your system, there can be a lot of friction in that pulley system. This does not seem to be taken into account in your work.

1. Why is my linear actuator not moving at all?

There could be several reasons why your linear actuator is not moving. It could be due to a faulty power source, a damaged motor, or a disconnected wiring. It is important to check all of these components to determine the root cause of the issue.

2. My linear actuator is moving very slowly, what could be the problem?

If your linear actuator is moving slowly, it could be due to insufficient power supply or a damaged motor. Make sure to check the voltage and current levels of your power source and ensure that they meet the requirements of your linear actuator. If the power supply is not the issue, then it is possible that the motor needs to be replaced.

3. Why is my linear actuator making strange noises?

If your linear actuator is making strange noises, it could be due to a damaged motor or a misaligned gearbox. It is important to check these components and make any necessary repairs or replacements. Additionally, make sure that the actuator is properly lubricated as lack of lubrication can also cause strange noises.

4. The linear actuator is not reaching its full extension, what should I do?

If your linear actuator is not reaching its full extension, it could be due to a faulty limit switch or an obstruction in the actuator's path. Check the limit switch to ensure it is functioning properly and remove any obstructions that may be blocking the actuator's movement.

5. Why is my linear actuator getting very hot?

If your linear actuator is getting hot, it could be due to overloading or overworking the actuator. Make sure that the actuator is not being used beyond its specified load capacity and that it is not being used for extended periods without breaks. If the actuator continues to get hot, it could be a sign of a faulty motor or other internal components that may need to be replaced.