Linear algebar distance between two lines,help for part(b)

• Thread starter tengxiaona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses using cross product and projection formulas to find the distance between two lines in 3-dimensional space. The first part of the conversation focuses on finding the distance between the two lines, while the second part discusses finding two points on the lines such that the distance between them is the previously calculated distance. The solution involves finding the projections of a vector onto the lines and using a specific equation to find the points.
tengxiaona
Linear algebar!distance between two lines,help for part(b)

Homework Statement

(a)use cross product to find the distance d from the line K determined by the two points(4,4,4) and (-1,-2,-5) to the line L determined by the parametric equations x=3,y=-1,z=5-5t

(b)find two points P and Q on the lines K and L respectively in part(a) such that the idstance from P to Q is d.

Homework Equations

projection formula, corss product

The Attempt at a Solution

i slove part(a)

i set A as (4,4,4) and B as (1,-2,-5), then we can get -->AB=(-3,-6,-9)

from x=3,y=-1,z=5-5t , we get C as (3,-1,-5),then -->AC=(-1,-5,1)

and we know l(distance between L and K)=area of parallelogram/length of AB

which is

l= ||-->AB*-->AC|| / ||-->AB||

now i use cross product -->AB*-->AC=(-3,-6,-9)*(-1,-5,1)=(-39,-12,21)

FINALLY i get l= sqrt(117/7)

i think i did right way for part(a)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but for part(b)

i find the projection of -->AC first

proj(AC)={AC*AB/AB*AB}AB

=(3+30-9)/126 (-3,-6,-9)

=4/21(-3,-6,-9)

ok, till here,

can i use (4,4,4)as point P

then use C(3,-1,-5) minus (4/21)(-3,-6,-9) to get point Q?

if i did wrong way ,please give me a hand

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

i get some ideas from another topic

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=274638"

i use the equation wut Dick offered X_p(s)-X_q(t)=u*W

then i get

(4,4,4)+t[-3,-6,-9] - (3,-1,5)+s[0,0,-5] = u[30,-15,0]<--cross product by deriction vectors

i solve it and get t=11/15 s=38/25 u=-1/25

wuts next?

PLZ HELP

Last edited by a moderator:

any1 help me ! please!

Your original posted solution to (a) gives the dist from C to K, but how do you know C is the closest pt to K? Your original (a) is wrong because K and L don't lie in the same plane.

Look at your second post.

The skew lines K and L lie on two parallel planes P1 and P2. The distance between K and L is the distance between the two planes P1 and P2.

Your vector [30,-15,0] is perpendicular to both planes P1 and P2.

(4,4,4)+t[-3,-6,-9] when t=11/15 is pt M on line K

(3,-1,5)+s[0,0,-5] when s=38/25 is pt N on line L

Vector MN is parallel to [30,-15,0].

You are ready to write down the answer to both parts now, do you see it?

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two lines in linear algebra?

The formula for calculating the distance between two lines in linear algebra is d = |(a1x + b1y + c1) - (a2x + b2y + c2)| / √(a1^2 + b1^2) where (a1, b1, c1) and (a2, b2, c2) are the direction vectors of the two lines.

2. How do I find the direction vectors of two lines in linear algebra?

The direction vector of a line in linear algebra can be found by taking any two points on the line and subtracting them. This will give you a vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the line. Repeat this process for the second line to find its direction vector.

3. Can the distance between two lines be negative?

No, the distance between two lines in linear algebra is always a positive value. This is because the distance is calculated as the absolute value of a subtraction.

4. What does the distance between two lines represent in linear algebra?

The distance between two lines in linear algebra represents the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. It can also be thought of as the length of a perpendicular line that connects the two lines.

5. Can the distance between two lines be greater than the distance between two points on the same line?

Yes, it is possible for the distance between two lines to be greater than the distance between two points on the same line. This occurs when the two lines are parallel and do not intersect, resulting in an infinite distance between them.